Andros with 60lb or 65lb capacity?

Started by DEA, April 15, 2012, 04:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEA

Hey fellas what kinda capacity are you getting when loading with 60lb or 65lb HC or SC?

I realize the general consensus is about 400yds with 50lb.

On-line calculator puts it about 360-ish with 0.407mm diameter line.

Just wanted to confirm this number is close before making a commitment.

Thx!

locknut

Gidday from NZ. I am using much lighter 40lb Tufline XP on my Andros. I have knocked over 100lb YFT with not too much trouble with this lighter line and it seems like a good match. IMO with 60-65 lb line you want to be able to generate at least 30lbs of drag without over stressing the reel. With the Andros that is not realistic and your capacity will suck. For the heavier 65lb line I am using a Makaira 15II and 50lb on a Makaira 10II.

wallacewt

im with locknut
drop it back to 30lb or 40lb
and have a reel good time.
60/65lb diff;reel needed.
within limits is what its all about
gd luck
ps, dont forget braid manufacturers allow 25% extra breaking strain.
your 60lb b/s could be anything up to 90lb.50% extra ???

DEA

Good day fellas, thanks for the input!

I was opting the heavier braid simply for abrasion resistance while fishing on a party boat.

Leader weight at 40-50lbs tops

ahiahiNZ

I use tuffline guides choice hollow core 40lb on my andros, Its a sweet line

alantani

wil, figure 15 pounds of drag max at strike, with a comfortable working load of 12 pounds.  that means a 40# fluoro topshot.  50# spectra versus 65# spectra probably won't matter that much.  we're not likely to hook up into anything locally that would take much of a run on us.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rx7240sx

i go 300 yards of 65 pound power pro  and room for a top shot

wallacewt

i just reloaded my andros yesterday with 30lb x 0.23 x 8ply multi coloured dyneema. got rid of the 50lb braid, it took 500m and room for another 100m. 15kg spiral rod,(converted ugly stik) man im ready to boogie woogie.well maybe a slow fox trot. cheers

redsetta

Quoteman im ready to boogie woogie.well maybe a slow fox trot
;) ;D
Nice one Wallace.
I'm still looking for a new 20lb spiral rod, but will stop by the local shop this arvo - hopefully today's the day!
Good luck with the new kit, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer