daiwa Certate 4000 handle issue

Started by mikeyh, April 17, 2012, 10:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyh

Hello all,
I just picked up a new Certate 4000 from the US ( I am in Townsville, Australia) and have got myself into a strange situation.  Spun the handle onto the lhs......sort of felt in lock in.....but didnt really like the feel as I am still a righty at heart.....so went to swap it to the rhs...but I cant get it off.  The attached "Universal Daiwa Spinning Reel operating instructions" in the box just says "unscrew the handle lock screw, withdraw handle from reel body and insert in the opposiate side.  Replace screw and tighten".  There is no handle lock screw visible..only the dust cap (on the RHS) and then all you can see is the threaded drive gear shaft and the bearing. 

I am absolutely stumped..and if it doesnt come off...looks like I will have to become a lefty (which wouldnt be a bad thing as I hold the rod with my right hand).  Have had many shimano spinning reels before but never a daiwa. Is there a trick? I have tried with a bit of oomph but no go...obviously dont want to damage this beautiful new reel.
Cheers, Mike

alantani

found the schematic.  http://daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/CT3500-4000.pdf

it looks like it just unscrews.  i'd like to say "just lean on it a little more" but i am not sure that's the answser.  i can't see any other way, though.  anybody else? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeyh

Hi Alan,
thats what I thought...I cant see any other way.  I have had many, many reels over the years and it has me stumped.  I am really scared that I may damage the gears if I lean on it too hard..it isnt exactly a Porsche gearbox

cheers, Mike

redsetta

Looking at the schematic, I reckon you're right - there doesn't appear to be any other way.
However, nagz serviced his Certate ('Hyper Custom', but basically the same) recently, so you might want to send him a PM. (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3907.0)
Good luck, Justin.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

BryanC

I have two certate 4000 reels (previous model - not the latest model with ferrofluid seals).  To remove the handles I simply turn them the opposite direction from normal reeling.  It takes a bit of force to get them started, but hasn't been a problem so far.  If yours is particularly tight, you might want to grab the rotor when you do this so as to not put excessive force on the anti-reverse bearing.

Jimmer

And push inward on the handle to take some pressure off the threads......
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

nagz

Unfortunately, the only way i can see how this hdas happened is that the handle is cross threaded to such an extent that they are stuck together. I would try tapping  it firmly somehow, the vibrations may allow it to free up.
Otherwise, a generous turn in the opppsite direction my be needed. However this may cause irreversable damage  :-[
Maybe, if its on tight and straight, you could just leave it? Annoying i know

Or just send it to the boys at the daiwa service department in brookvale, syd. Details are on their website.
Could be costly, but you get piece of mind :)