Penn Reel Grease for Drags?

Started by jacobcbass, June 13, 2009, 07:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacobcbass

I'm new to reel repair and I keep reading about greasing my Drag washers but no one is saying what type/kind of grease I should be using. Will my Penn Reel Grease work or should I buy something else? I'm only working on my own reels so keeping cost down is always good. Thank you for you imput.

alantani

there are pure teflon drag greases made by shimano, cal's and xtreme reel +.  any one of these will work for drag washers, but do not use a petroleum or silicone based grease for this purpose.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cmaraj1

i was also wondering about this, so dont use penn grease for drag washers.....
is there anything from homedepot that i could use for dragwashers?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

penn blue grease is hydrocarbon based and tend to get sticky in the long run while Cal's and Shimano's are teflon based and will not become sticky. i've been using Cal's since March last yr and so far so good. i also use LSD oil and seems to work but needs more testing...

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

TomT

It makes a difference where we are located as to what is available.  I spend a few months per year in Baja.  Recently I just went to Home Depot in La Paz and tried to buy some silicone grease--nothing to do with my reels.  I talked to 2 different clerks.  I speak a little Spanish and they spoke no English.  I also looked around the store in many different locations.  As far as I could determine they carry WD 40 and Tres en Uno(3in 1 oil)  and NOTHING else.  I am travelling and away from home and I have more lubricants in my possession than the "Largest Hardware Store in the World".  So much for telling these people to use Yamaha or Penn or others--they are NOT available!!  As a side story a few years ago when there was a controversy over which shade of Yamaha Marine grease to buy for reels and in which size containers, I went into the Yamaha dealer in La Paz and was going to get some of the blue Yamaha grease.  The Yamaha dealer was not even aware that Yamaha had a lubricant to sell.  They do carry Sta-Lube if you are interested.  So depending on your location in the world, some lubricants are very hard to come by. ???
TomT