113h w/ accurate gears s/s pinion yoke - Hard to disengage

Started by Mariner, April 18, 2012, 10:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariner

Hi Folks,
First question, I will try and make it concise. I recently bought a 113h off ebay with accurate gears installed and a stainless pinion yoke, upon recpt I noticed it seemed to hang up up on trying to put it in freespool. I noticed the eccentric seemed stripped or rounded off not moving it's entire length of its throw, soooo. I disassembled it replaced the eccentric and then noticed the pinion yoke had been dug into by the pinion gear(circular scratches) I do not remember which side was up, does it matter? Rebuilt the drag and reassembled the reel, the problem is it's still hard to disengage if there is even a little pressure on the spool. Is this because of the accurate gears or do I need to look at some thing else? I have 8 other 113h's and have thought about changing the parts to another one to see if the issue moves with it. Anyway I work offshore and can't resolve anything til I get home. Any suggestions for when I do get there?
Thanks in advance, Mark
If Your Gonna Be Dumb, Ya Gotta Be Tough

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Mariner on April 18, 2012, 10:27:12 PM
Hi Folks,
..... the pinion gear ..... I do not remember which side was up, does it matter?
Yes - The pinion needs to go in with the 'long' teeth down, that is, when all assembled only the short gear teeth are up, showing.
.... Is this because of the accurate gears or do I need to look at some thing else?
Maybe - Check the yoke to make sure it's flat, no burrs, same size as others. Try turning the yoke over and reassemble to see if that works.  You may need a new yoke but the circular marks shouldn't keep it from disengaging completely.
Thanks in advance, Mark
Try these methods, Mark, then report back.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broschro

i had the same Problem  on my 505  new yoke all is good now

Mariner

Thanks for the directions to proceed, the pinion yoke was what I wondered if it had an up or down side even though it does not look like it. I dp wonder at the amount of force it would take for the pinion to scar the yoke as both are stainless, I suspect some sort of abuse somewhere in it's history. It does work well I have used it but do not like to have to roll back the spool to disengage it. Will carry on once I get back home.
If Your Gonna Be Dumb, Ya Gotta Be Tough