tld 15

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

PM sent with address etc...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bunnlevel Sharker

Where can i get a new CF washer for this reel? Smooth drag?
Grayson Lanier

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

skrilla

After the belleville upgrade and removing a shim should there still be a tiny bit of freeplay in the shaft? I'm talking about this area and stack of components here...

Should I retrun the shim or mill it down so freeplay is eliminated? Any caliper measurements to compare? Thanks in advance.

alantani

there should not be more than 10 thousanths worth of play.  usually it's less.  don't worry for now.  just throw it back together and see how well it works first. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Sushiassassin

Hello all, just joined the site and Im excited as I've been blue water fishing for years but have just looked into servicing and upgrading my own reels. Im from louisiana and fish predominantly at the mouth of the river in Venice. Bottom fishing for snapper, AJs and grouper along with blue water trolling and chunking for tuna wahoo and billfish are what we mostly do. I plan on making this tld15 my first project. Is there a place where I can find a list of the parts needed for this upgrade. Where do you guys generally get your spare parts. Thanks in advance. I look forward to gaining knowledge from all of you Guys.

Bryan Young

Sushiassassin,

Welcome and glad to have ya.

Drag Washer - SmoothDrag.com  I believe it's $15.

Bellevilles - Shimano.  We have been switching them out for the ones that come on the TLD20s and TLD30s.  They are slightly thicker.  you will notice the difference.

Other than that, it's a great, affordable reel, so go fishing and have fun.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Sushiassassin

Thanks Bryan. What reel grease and lube do you guys prefer? I've looked on other forums and there wasn't really any consensus on what was the most preferred.

Bryan Young

regarding the grease, I have used Evinrude Triple Guard, and now use Yamaha Marine Grease for most applications.  Others use Inox marine grease.  In short, there are many great greases out there.  it's a matter of cost, availability, and your personal history.  Any good marine grease is better than none at all.

Drag grease, I use Cal's.  Shimano, Daiwa, and I believe Penn has a drag grease as well.  Others have used First Line Teflon bicycle grease.  Again, it's a matter of cost and availability.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Sushiassassin

Sorry about all the questions. I'm looking on smooth drag and I'm not sure which drag washer to buy.  Should I buy the Carbontex washer for the TLD15?

bluefish69

Carbontex is one of the Best. I just bought 5 Sets for myself. Also bought bearings from Dawn at Smooth Drag
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Sushiassassin

I was buying the spring from the 20/30 on Mikes Reel Repair and was looking to buy a few things to put myself at the $10 minimum. Would the Shimano bearing upgrade that's available for the TLD series fit on the TLD 15?

handi2

I've done 6 of these now for the kayak guys and they love the way the reels work after the upgrades. Very well work the few bucks..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Pacific Fisher

Is the TLD 10 a wide spool version of he TLD 15 like the 15/30 star is to the 20/40 star?

Thanks

day0ne

Quote from: Pacific Fisher on August 01, 2013, 05:01:12 AM
Is the TLD 10 a wide spool version of he TLD 15 like the 15/30 star is to the 20/40 star?

Thanks

The TLD 10 (no longer made) is a narrow version of the TLD 15, plus it is a bit smaller in diameter. The TLD5 (no longer made) is a narrow version of the TLD10.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter