HELP! I DO NOT KNOW WHAT KIND OF REEL THIS IS. DOES ANYONE KNOW?

Started by Dominick, April 18, 2012, 10:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

A friend of mine loves to go to flea markets, garage sales, junk yards and such.  He knows of my interest in maintaining and destroying reels so he sent me this reel.  There are no markings on it.  I took it apart and it is soaking.  The reel had wrapping cord around the spool followed by dacron followed by silk.  I tried to save the silk but it was too rotted.  By the time I got to the wrapping cord, the cord had corroded into a hardened mess like chalk and I had to chip it away.  Here are some photos.  Three of the photos are slightly out of focus, for which I apologize.  The camera was set on close-up, so I don't know what went wrong.  Before anyone else says it, maybe I ought to cut down on the Zinfandel.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

There is no need to be enbarrassed, lawyers are allowed to go to flea markets ;) ;D.
It could be a pflueger, but i'm not sure. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

QuoteThere is no need to be embarrassed, lawyers are allowed to go to flea markets...
:D ;D
QuoteThree of the photos are slightly out of focus, for which I apologize.
Gotta respect a man who doesn't unnecessarily end a sentence in a preposition...  ;) ;D

Back to the question, I reckon Sal's on the right track - Pflueger or Shakespeare...
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Come on you guys and gals you are going to have to do better than that.  Those were my guesses also. Come on children get your thinking caps on.  :-*.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

I don't know about you, but I see a very nice Penn in the background. ;D  Did I win the prize?

What size is that reel?  Looks like a 1920's Hendryx.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Okay members.  I spent an inordinate amount of time researching the reel.  I looked at hundreds of pictures of old reels.  The reel is an Ocean City Reel, Fortesque, circa 1920s.  Kind of cool.  I have it soaking to get ready to clean it up.  Had I known it would be so old, I would not have soaked it.  Oh well, I'll clean it up but it wont look antiquey (if there such a word).  I'll post some new pictures when it is clean.  Dominick

Alto Mare

What a find Dominick, now you have a reel that was made the same year you were born  ;D
Next time leave the fish blood, line and corrosion, it's more valuable that way ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

I just took it out of the water and have not polished it.  I guess, I'll just leave it the way it is.  Thanks.  Dominick

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 20, 2012, 07:30:56 PM
What a find Dominick, now you have a reel that was made the same year you were born  ;D
Next time leave the fish blood, line and corrosion, it's more valuable that way ;)

So, will we also be more valuable if we leave the fish blood on us? ;D

Nice catch Dominick!
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jimmer

I have a very similar reel here in front of me, it's marked OCEAN CITY free spool german silver steel pivot. A photo of the star washer on the left side plate would have been a dead give away. Mine has the same bronze patina as yours, I think these will take a high shine if you polish them up.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Dominick

Quote from: Jimmer on April 21, 2012, 02:07:10 PM
I have a very similar reel here in front of me, it's marked OCEAN CITY free spool german silver steel pivot. A photo of the star washer on the left side plate would have been a dead give away. Mine has the same bronze patina as yours, I think these will take a high shine if you polish them up.
I wonder why my reel does not have any marks on it.  The reel stand has the number 250 and that's it.  no marks inside either.  Dominick

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D