bearing with shield but no retainer!??

Started by hafnor, April 19, 2012, 02:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

Just popped my new reel (alutecnos gorilla12c) and on one of the bearings there is shielded but there isn't any retainer holding the shield and it isn't pressed in... What do I do? I want to pack it...

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

hafnor

so... Should I just pry it open from the inner circle like pressed in shields...? I hate when they don't use retainers... The shields are nice to have because they keep the grease tight inside... without shields alot will be squeezed out once the bearing rotates...

Jimmer

Do you have one of Alan's bearing packers?That would probably be the right tool for this.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

hafnor

I have but I do not have a grease gun! I can not find one that works with the packer... And optimaly I would like to remove the old grease first... Just don't want to have them open.

Jimmer

I think you'll have to make  choice between opening it or just packing it. before I found the correct adaptor for my grease gun I was able to use a tapered cone attachment that came with an air inflation kit. I just set the packer with bearing installed on a rag and pushed down on it while pumping the gun, it worked good.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

paal

I have a gun & packer, but Yamaha grease is not arriving until May 18. If you have time to wait, you could borrow mine.

Keta

You will destroy the shield when you remove it.  If you have to get into the bearing pry one side off, clean and grease then attempt to straighten the shield to reinstall.  Most of the time I toss the shield.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain