cod fishing Norway

Started by hafnor, April 19, 2012, 03:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

A bit late report here... Huge amounts of cod is along the Norwegian coast right now and me and the team are back from a week trip. we rented a cabin and boat in soroya, Norway. Biggest cod was around the 20kg mark... probably 200 cod were caught between 10 and 20 kilos... estimated a total of 6000 pounds of cod fished in total for 4 days fishing so pretty good. too bad the big ones didn't show up... the week before they landed a 90 pounder!!! ;D

Dominick

Hafnor: great report.  I never saw a cod up close like that.  My other comment is Brrrrrr. :)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

hafnor

thank you Dominick! they taste great too!:)

john2244

spottybastard

What tackle where you using?  lure or bait?  Do they fight hard?

That kind of fishing is just too cold for me, so I will have to live it out vicariously from you pictures!  ;D

Bryan Young

Looks like fun, but probably too cold considering I like fishing in 80 deg. F weather.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Great report Thor - and some cracker fish.
Looks like Lee would be right at home there. ;) ;D
Cheers for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

akfish

I hate to say it, but up here in Alaska, when we catch a cod, it almost always ends up as bait. A fresh cod filet is just about the best halibut bait you can get. I know they are good on the table -- some people like it more than halibut and there is a huge commercial fishery for cod in Alaska -- but I much prefer halibut. Halibut fight quite a bit more too. Still, it would be great fun to fish in Norway. Someday, perhaps.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

wallacewt

open ally boat,oh boy!
nice pics

Alto Mare

Very nice shots! Without you guys, us Italians wouldn't have any Baccala' (dried cod) for our Christmas traditions.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: hafnor on April 19, 2012, 05:28:03 PM
thank you Dominick! they taste great too!:)
I agree except for lutefisk.  See Sal's (Alto Mare) comments about baccala.  Great tasting when you get the right amount of salt rinsed out. I have Swedish friends that have that dish of french fried potatoes and cod fish at Christmas (I don't know what the dish is called).  The dish is interesting and I can see eating it once a year.  The fishy taste of cod and sweetish taste of fried potatoes went together okay.  Then there is lutefisk.  My wife had some Norwegian friends who invited us to experience lutefisk.  I pulled up in their driveway and I thought I had arrived at fish packing plant.  I managed a few bites and have to say once you get passed the smell it did not taste all that bad.  On the other hand she could have been a lousy cook.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

hafnor

Nice to see you trying out some Norwegian old dishes. Lutefisk is for the experienced ones and take a while getting used to. I think it is okay but not crazy for for it! ;D

Keta

Nice cod, it looks cold too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

seaeagle2

Seattle (Ballard) has a large scandinvian  population, in fact the May 17th parade is the largest outside of Norway, lutefish is what separates the true believers from the rest of us.   Looks like some great fishing and some great eats....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

broadway

Thor,

You guys are hard core....  Even with the snow flying and freezing temps the fish are still hittin' the decks!
Awesome stuff,
Dom