Fish in the Southern California Desert

Started by Bill B, April 20, 2012, 03:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I had to make a trip down to wonderful sunny El Centro, Ca this week, so I decided to take a pole with me.  After driving through the area back and forth from Brawley to El Centro I found a likely irrigation canal, at the intersection of Forrester and Edgar...and yes it's in the middle of no where.

Speared a nightcrawler added four ounces of lead, the current looked pretty fast and wasn't sure how deep, and let it soak.  While watching the Marine Corps Harrier jets fly in and out of El Centro NAF, I got bit within 10 minutes and discovered a 17" striped bass at the end. What a treat, I was expecting catfish, but the bass was fat and solid. The canal was about 5' deep and 20' across with steep dirt banks. The water felt cool inspite of the 95* weather, but then it hasn't been hot in the southern desert till now.  A couple more weeks of 110* weather things might change a little and the fish will probably soften up a little, but then the Salton Sea Tilapia should be biting again.  Unfortunately only caught one fish but that was more than I was expecting.

Who would have thought stripers in an irrigation canal and 2.5 hours from the Colorado River.

Sorry I don't have anymore pics, all I had was a cellphone and it was too hot to keep the fish out of the water for very long.... have to go back again in 3 weeks and again in 5 week...gonna be hotter but still taking the poles got more canals to try.  And a better camera.

Just obey the signs, bad things can happen...LOL

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!