Penn 1/0 approx age

Started by Bruce, April 21, 2012, 02:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Hello all I have Penn Senator 1/0, Long Beach Live Bait Caster.
        This is the first Senator I have seen that is also marked as Long Beach, or LIVE BAIT CASTER.
        Sorry no pics,if I could figure out how to I would. Yeah I`ve read the directions, but this is millenium technology with a 1930`s operator.
        Discription ,right sideplate the usual circle with Penn script angling upwards left to right Penn Senator and below on right 1/0
below that and still in circle MADE IN USA and directly under PAT`D  On the left side plate top half is scene of headland, lighthouse and offshore a sport fisher with 5 long rods looks to be trolling under a cloudy sky. The sport fisher looks to be quite old style maybe 20`s 30`s boat. The bottom half sideplate is  labeled in semicircular fashion in descending order LONG BEACH, << LIVE BAIT CASTER >> , Penn Fishing Tackle Mfg.Co.Phila. Pa.
       I have always been told That Senators were trolling reels despite the fact many people use them otherwise. That is why I was so surprised to see LIVE BAIT CASTER on the side plate.
        This reel is in very good condition and looks nearly new, a few light scratches.

Can someone identify the  manft, era ?

Thank you B.
Buzz

john2244

I think your reel has parts from two different reels. A Penn 1/0 and the left hand side plate may be from a Penn Long Beach # 259. Without pics it is hard to estimate age, both reels go back to the 40's.

John

Bruce

Thank you John.    I guess that`s a possibility.
                             Kinda hard to figure how that could come about though.
                             I bought it at a yard sale a couple of years ago and the fellow selling was in mid 60`s ,said it had been his father in laws reel. I should have ponied up for the old hex cane rod with agate guides but thought he might be asking beaucoup $$ for it.
In retrospect I think he just wanted to get rid of it and may even have given it to me. Be sure to ASK.
                             Oh ! I always thought the Senator line of reels were ball bearing to justify thier higher price,but this little guy is bushing.
                               The reel stand number is  30-200, if relevant.

Thank you B.
Buzz

john2244

The stand number for Penn 1/0 is 30-49 and for the 259 Long Beach Deluxe the stand # is 30-200.
The frame on the 1/0 is 2 3/8 OD and the LB is 3 3/16 OD.  You may have a LB frame with a Senator side plate.

John

Bruce

Hello John 

Looks like you figured it out .
                    The reel stand looks to be  2 7/16s and inside frame width 2 3/8s.

Thank you B.
Buzz

john2244

I did not stated that right. The 1/0 reel (not frame) is 2 3/8 wide OD and the LB reel is 3 3/16 wide OD.  I think you have a LB frame and a LB left hand side plate with a Senator right hand side plate.  If you have a 3 piece spool the number should be 29-250.  That is the spool for the Long Beach Deluxe # 259 reel.  You can send some pics to my email and I will confirm.

John
email: john2244@cox.net

Bruce

Hello John    Yup that`s it spool 29-250 steel and magnetic.

Thanks again.  B.
Buzz