Stella 18000sw dry bearing

Started by PoppinTonga, April 21, 2012, 08:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoppinTonga

Hi all,

Got a 18k that has developed a dry bearing sound.  it sound like it is coming from under the spool.  I am guessing it is a bearing on the pinion gear.    I am wondering if anyone has service the "Shielded ARB" bearings in the stellas.  Is it hard to get the shield off?  Is this a common area for a dry bearing to develop?

I have looked at Alan's post about bearings on Stripers Online but it does not cover the shielded stella bearings.

Thanks in advance,
Kurt

alantani

the hardest part will be actually getting to the bearing.  if it's rough, it will have to be replaced.  i'm not a spinner guy.  hopefully someone else will chime in. 

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Clem

Hi Kurt

I have a tutorial on Alan's site for the 20k which might help you get to the bearing...easy enough to check once you are there..Its unlikely that its dry? I service mine fairly frequently and run oil as opposed to grease

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2686.0

PoppinTonga

Hey Clem,
Nice work on the tutorial.  I sent the reel down to NZ with a client and it was serviced and returned with the same noise.  It sounds good without a load and I guess that the first place this would appear would be the pinion.  It does not take a heavy load to make the sound.  I guess it could be rough, or something.  I can not get warranty service since the reel was given to me.  If I can not figure it out, I will be taking it back to NZ next month when I go to the Hutchwilco boat show.

Clem

Hi Kurt...hmmm without feeling or hearing it I couldn't really say...could be a dud bearing if you can feel it under load... check in with Justin (Redsetta) if you go to Auckland he may be able to help you..

redsetta

G'day Kurt,
I'm around that weekend, so feel free to get in touch if you need a hand with anything.
Might see you at the boat show - will keep an eye out for the 'Poppin Tonga' T-shirt. ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

PoppinTonga

Thanks for that Justin,  I am planning on taking the reel to Steve at Swordfish Marine.  It will be much easier to explain and show it to him in person.  I have found doing this stuff from a distance is difficult at best.  We arrive Monday afternoon and plan on the boat show Thursday and Friday.  My Son (13) and I have matching shirts.  Hope to see you there.

PoppinTonga

Well, Back from NZ.  Steve at Swordfish Marine was able to sort out the problem in about 5 minutes.  It was a line roller bearing.  I did not know there were 2 bearings in the line roller.  One was replaced on the last service, but both were bad.  Now it it time for a fish to really verify the fix.