Upper Klamath Lake

Started by Keta, April 22, 2012, 01:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

We went from long underwear to shorts in 5 days and a friend wanted to check his boat on the upper lake Friday.  The fishing was poor but the boat ride was fun until the main motor decided it wanted to quit working again.   Fortunately the gas leak didn't ignite.  We trolled back to the dock for 4 hours and I had time to play with my camera.  It was dusty so the photos are not real clear.

Mt Scott (Crater Lake NM) on the SE rim of Crater Lake, 15-20 miles north of the cinder cone island in the following two photos.

The upper lake averages 8' of water over 200' of bird droppings and never clears up due to the wind sturing=ing up the muck, this is good average water, by mid June the lack gets chocked with algae and becomes unfetchable.  The upper lake is a late stage eutrophic lake, the lower lake is farms and marsh.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Wow, beautiful.  We gotta come up to visit.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I'm glad you got to go on the water Lee, it's not always about catching. That place looks beautiful, I'm sure the pictures don't do  it justice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Beautiful place Lee. What kind of fish do you catch there?

seaeagle2

A couple years ago when we road tripped back from taking our kid down to Oakland, we stayed in Klamath Falls so we could hit Crater Lake.  It was a really nice drive on highway that runs along the lake.  Somewhere in a little tiny town between the highway and crater lake there was a general store / gas station and the guy made the best doughnuts I've ever had......
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Keta

Quote from: Irish Jigger on April 22, 2012, 08:41:06 PM
Beautiful place Lee. What kind of fish do you catch there?

Redband rainbow trout, 3-6 lb average with 10lb occasionally.

seaeagle, that sounds like Fort Klamath.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Thank's Lee, those are good trout.

Dominick

Lee it's strange but I always thought of Klamath Lake as a deep water lake.  Since you mentioned that it was a late stage eutrophic Lake. I checked this web site.  http://or.water.usgs.gov/projs_dir/pn381/pn381.html  This is another effect of the tree huggers.  Bigger bag limits on ducks and geese would help.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

The lake averages 8' deep with a few small deeper spots. Between the island in the photo and shore is the deepest place on the lake.  In the fall and spring the lake is covered with birds and we get to watch the western grebe do their mating dance as we troll past them.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Rain in on the way here.  Is snow in your sight?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

We have been breaking record highs.  A week ago Sunday we had snow, I still was wearing long underwear Wednesday and then 3 days of mid to high 70s.   It might rain mid week.  There's a big storm on the other side of the mountains to the west, lots of lightning.

Mark Twain