Penn 525 Mag 2 Anti-reverse bearing

Started by Striker, April 24, 2012, 08:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker

Hi,
I'm a newbie to the site and this is my first post.

I have a Penn 525 Mag 2 which I have stripped out for the first time. Not too much of a problem except...

When I unscrewed the drag there were two washers underneath which I removed. Underneath that is what they call an anti-reverse bearing with a steel bush inside it.

The anti-reverse bearing is open at one end and captivated on the other, i.e the metal case comes over at the top to form an end plate

I didn't notice which way this came out. I've checked Alan's excellent article on stripping out a 525 mag but htis seems to be the one (minor) bit which isn't fully covered. I don't know if the bearing is the same on the old 525 mag.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Squirmypug

All my reels the metal side of the ARB is on the outside of the reel. But to check just put the reel together like you think it should go, if the handle turns the right direction its fine. If the handle only turns the wrong way then the ARB is in wrong.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Striker

That's the way I thought it came out.

You make a fair point. If it's anti-reverse it will only work one way. DOH!

Thanks for the advice