Okuma Titus TG 15L Sgle Spd Question

Started by Ken_D, April 24, 2012, 05:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Hio... I have one to deal with, where the sport allowed rust to sieze the handle nut. I pulled the little keeper off, and it's rust city underneath. Web searches are coming up blank, save to say the reel is discontinued.

It's been treated with penetrating liquid, to assist in break free. But to no avail. Begging the question: is this reel's nut LH thread, or RH thread?   The schematic does not say, and (naturally) the reel came in with no box pr papers. I have a query into the Okuma folks, but they must be busy, as no reply just yet.  Thanks. KD.

Nessie Hunter

Should be Rght hand threaded, normal....   
Turn top to the Left.... Counterclockwise .....

I would try some Heat & Cooling  (lighter and cold water or Ice) sometimes that expansion and contraction will break the rust/corrosion enough to get it off easier....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Ken_D

Hio, NH... I've tried heat and cold back to back.. no luck. I am going to the tire shop tomorrow, and have them turn up the impact wrench to 150 ft pounds. Something's gonna give.... ;D

Jimmer

Impact wrench is not the tool for this job, let it soak in CLR for awhile , it will completly remove the  corrosion , and for awhile , i I mean 2-3 days if required, What do you have to lose?
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Ken_D

Hio, J.. there is no corrosion....all there ever was, was, a slight stain of rust on the handle under the keeper, and under the hdle nut.

It's been treated with panther pee (penetrating oil) for about a week now, and several hits with the lpg torch. Impact wrench it will be, as the owner of the reel also owns the tire store. If something breaks it's on him, as I will provide the socket, and he will provide the torque.  8)  But first, I'm phoning Okuma tomorrow, to verify the thread direction.

JGB

Ken,

The nut/screw is left handed. The handle arm is right handed thread.
Try placing the wrench on the nut and then squeezing wrench and the handle arm so they come together. Use both hands if necessary and adjust so that the wrench and the handle arm are only about 1" from closing together. This has worked wonders for me with nuts that are very tight. If you cranked the handle in revers it will tighten against the nut. Once the screw is removed unwind the handle arm while the reel is still together as there is no way to hold the main gear shaft.

Jim N.

Ken_D

Thanks for the thread direction, J... confirmation received from the plant before I opened your note, so they confirmed you, actually.  ;D  I can now proceed as tho I was sane from this point on. Re-Thanks. Ken.

Ken_D

Update: I have the handle nut off. The handle proper easily un-threaded.  I wound up taking a pair of vise-grips, 10" long size, clamping down hard, and hitting them really hard, before it finally broke loose. Reel is serviced, all screw holes greased, bearings addressed, and now good to fish. Thanks to all who pointed the way. KD.