The Original Penn 130 - The Sailfisher

Started by George4741, April 28, 2012, 04:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Okay folks, I've been drooling for days over the photos of your fine reels.  Very impressive, all of them.

I'm showing the most worthy reel in my collection, a reel I've never seen in this forum before.  It is Penn's original 130, the Sailfisher.  The 501 is shown for scale.       

viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

Hello George,

Nice Penn 130.  Have you fished the 130???   If so, what do you think ??   I have one that I will fish this summer for the first time.  The reel seems to be very similar to a Penn 349.
John

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

The 130 is a neat reel, but just about everything is unique; almost no parts can be scavenged from other Penn reels. If you fish it, make sure you don't break any parts!!
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Marlinmate

I've got a 130 Sailfish as well......just not as nice as yours!

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

George4741

Quote from: john2244 on April 28, 2012, 05:12:40 AM
Hello George,

Nice Penn 130.  Have you fished the 130???   If so, what do you think ??   I have one that I will fish this summer for the first time.  The reel seems to be very similar to a Penn 349.
John

I haven't fished with it.  I'm afraid of getting boat rash on it and, as Akfish said, parts are almost impossible to get.  For example, the gear sleeve is a unique size and not used on any other reel.  It is comparable to the 349 and I'm sure both will handle the same size fish.  Another interesting thing about the 130 is that it has a 5-drag stack and the drag washers are similar in size to the jigmaster.

I'm glad you liked it and thanks for the praise,
George

viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

Nice reel George - thanks for sharing.
The 501 is a little beauty too.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

farmer58za

Hi All
Two days ago, my neighbour gave me a Penn 130 Sailfisher that she was going to throw out at the dump. She said it had belonged to her father and was ecstatic that someone wanted to have it!

I stripped it down and gave it a service and some new Jigmaster drag washers. Final analysis is that it's pretty rough having seen lots of use and neglect but it's working again.

It certainly doesn't match the quality of the reels at the top of this thread!

Regards
David

floating doc

What a beautiful reel. I wouldn't have the nerve to fish with it in that condition.
Central Florida

Dominick

I love seeing guys showing off their stuff.  Keep it going.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Dominick on January 15, 2014, 07:43:07 PM

I hope that's not a double entendre Dominick ;)

Ron Jones

I THOUGHT HIS NAME WAS PESCACHASER!! :D
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dominick on January 15, 2014, 07:43:07 PM
Wow! I'm not that way Dominick! ;D
Life is Good!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer