Monofil #27

Started by SoCalAngler, April 30, 2012, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I thought I would share with you something I picked up at a garage sale. I don't normally stop at garage sales but when driving past this one I saw that they had some fishing tackle so I decided to take a look. This guy had sold most of his tackle already to friends and family and was getting out of the saltwater scene but still had about 6-7 reels left, terminal tackle, weights and a large collection of yoyo and surface iron, as well as some trolling lures. Nun of the other gear peaked my interest but this little reel seemed to need a home and at the price of $10 I was happy to give it one.

I have done nothing to this reel YET, this is the way I bought it. I will need to strip off the line and check out the spool and it's internals but with what I have seen so far, looking inside the bearing cap and checking all it's functions, it seems like it's in great shape. The reel gets 6 lbs of drag fully buttoned down right now and I may just change out the drags, replace a couple of pitted reel posts, change out the bearings, grease and lube everything and keep it as is, after all it is a classic. Right now the reel gets around 13 seconds of free spool and I'm sure the bearings are dry as you can easily hear them at first when you give the spool a good spin but they do quite down as the spool slows a little. Now I just need to find a old Truline rod to match to this reel with if I do decide to fish it.

I have a few questions for you guys. What would you do with a reel like this, leave it as is, fish it or just keep it as a collection piece? I know it is subjective but is it even worth replacing the drags, bearings and posts if I do keep it as a collection piece? I already have much newer reels to fish in this line class so fishing it is not a priority. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks    

Alto Mare

Nice reel, I would leave it as is and put it on the shelf. If you have little ones, I would tune it up and let them use it. There is no better reel than a Penn, for little ones to have their first experience. You might have one problem though, they might turn out like me and only use Penn ;D. Thanks for showing it, from the looks, that reel wasn't fished more than a couple of times. Enjoy it! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Nice simple little reels.  I would check and change the drags if I ever intended to fish with it, otherwise, I'd put it on the shelf.  Very similar to the Penn 180 Baymaster and good for light salt water fishing.  I have given a home to several similar orphans that I will never fish with.
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

Whether you are going ot fish with it or not, I would go through and clean things up, if needed, get things greased, and if possibility of fishing, change what's broken or needs improvements (drags, bearings,..) then put it on the shelf.  At least you will know the internals are clean and protected.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Thanks guys and Bryan that was what I was thinking of going.

Tore the reel completely down tonight to find absolutely no corrosion or rust other than the two slightly pitted posts and a little pitting on the spool side of the reel foot. I cleaned the old grease and oil totally outof the reel. Tomorrow I will get either HT-100 or Carbontex drags to put in it, grease it up and slap it back together. Also this reel has the metal spool which makes this a No. 27 M, yeah baby.Now I just need to find that original Truline stick to go for a nostalgic look if I do decide to fish it. Anybody have a line on old Truline rods?

john2244

I have a few Truline rods.  What model are you looking to match up with the Penn 27 ????

SoCalAngler

Thanks for the offer to sell me one of your rods but I have already got one. If you want to see what I got click here. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4227.0

Porthos

Here's my modified red 27 that resulted from a "Can I do this?" project:

Upgraded parts list:
1. new HT100 washers
2. Tiburon 146 frame
3. 29L-100 spool
4. 24-56 power handle
5. Cal's drag grease & Yamaha marine grease
6. 12 38-8 Screws (Tib's holes for the stand are same depth as the post holes)
7. Stainless steel gear sleeve.

Max drag was between 10-11 lbs, but fishing at this setting split the pinion gear after about six months.  :-[ Dropping down max to 9lbs to see if it'll fare better. :-\

Am I crazy to try to fish this as a 30lb setup (9lbs reel drag+ 1lb pressure from the rod)--probably so... ::)

Irish Jigger

Nice job,fish it and enjoy it.
BTW welcome to the Forum.