My New(ell) toy...

Started by redsetta, May 01, 2012, 01:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day all,
Just picked this up today.
It's my first Newell and is just the right size for the majority of the fishing I do around New Zealand's upper North Island.
It's been fished a couple of times, but is in unmarked 'as new' condition and spooled with 300m of 20lb braid.

I'm yet to break it down for a pre-fish service (just picked it up this morning), but will upgrade to CF tonight if the drag stack height isn't problematic.
Will also upgrade to Alan's Kolekar handle and S/S arm too... (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=252.0)
Alan, which handle/arm combo would you recommend for the 220-5?
(If you haven't mailed the TLD15 handle yet, perhaps include one in the parcel.)
Any other suggestions would be appreciated - these are very rare in NZ.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

p-deverett

Nice reel Justin,
It'll  go nicely with your 99'd jigmaster.
You using it for some kingis around the gulf and or big snapper

cheers
Peter

redsetta

Cheers Peter - horse snapper I'd say.
Will have to tear it down and do some drag testing to figure it out - Newells are an unknown quantity for me at this stage. ;)
All the best mate, Justin

Alto Mare

Nice reel Justin, I don't own a Newell but have some Newell parts for my penn's. I heard good things about that reel, but I've also heard that they're salt magnets. Make sure you go crazy on the grease, that should cover it. Very nice reel, thanks for sharing. Sal
Love that box.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

Nice Newell.  Newell reels are very popular here in Southern California.  I think every fishing friend I have
owns a couple and some own several. Great casting reels, you will like it.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 01, 2012, 12:14:29 PM
Make sure you go crazy on the grease, that should cover it.

Very nice Justin.  Make sure you take Sal's advice, we Italians know grease.  ;D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

Thanks all - looking forward to getting it out on the water.
I stripped it down last night and, as per Sal and Dominick's advice, gave everything a thin coat of grease.
I can see where corrosion would be an issue with these - despite being almost new, there were already a few rust spots under the side plate rings.
The internals are really well designed/made and a little reminiscent of Abu Ambassadeurs.
I'll cut new CF washers for the drag tonight (they appear to be Jigmaster size).
Cheers, Justin

doradoben

These are very nice. The physical size & line capacity of a Penn 146, with Jigmaster size drag washers & faster ratio. I think you are going to be very pleased..

redsetta

Cheers ben.
You're right about the size and capacity - seems a really nice balance.
Wallace suggested trying a spiral-wrapped rod and, having looked at a few (on good-quality high-carbon blanks), I reckon that's the way I'll go...
All the best, Justin

redsetta

Just came across this site listing various Newell, Tiburon and Penn parts on Ebay, which might be of interest to some: http://www.ryanssaltwaterfishing.info/newell-fishing-reel/

Norcal Pescador

A very nice reel, Justin! I have an S220-5 and it's a great reel for 5-15 pound bottom fish. I rebuilt mine the same as Alan's tutorial with no problems. I have large (size 10-11 glove) hands but put a Kolekar 2/0 grip on along with 30 pound braid and 20 pound mono on top. As you might say, a cracker little reel! Good luck with it. :)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD