newell vs penn

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, May 01, 2012, 02:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

about to buy a new reel. it's between a nib newell s220-5 and a penn baja special, if i have the money i would buy both since  i don't either.  which should i buy for real world usage? what do you think guys? thanks and tight lines.

Bryan Young

The Baja special is at least twice the capacity as the S220-5, so it comes down to...it depends on your usage, line test, drag range, etc. 

Beware that Newell part are hard to come by, and that would be my biggest deterent.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mackereljoe

For my real-world useage here in SoCal, the Newell 220 will suffice about 95% of the time.  The Baja Special is a beast of a reel and would reserve it for bigger species, but you don't have to worry about being under-gunned for just about anything. 

john2244

I agree with Bryan 100%. 

broadway

No question... Baja Special! Like Bryan said, parts are tough to come by with Newells since the flub at Valley Manufacturing, Baja has double dogs, higher drag, more capacity, parts availability, the list goes on.
Dom

Makule

Quote from: Mel B on May 02, 2012, 07:57:59 PM
thanks guys the baja then for practical reasons, tight lines.

Unless your top priority is light weight, the Baja Special is a much more durable/rugged reel, in addition to having more capacity, better brakes, and easy to get parts.  Yes, for practical purposes, hard to go wrong with it.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

SoCalAngler

I can't believe no one asked what pound test line your looking to fish, what your target species and how you will mainly be fishing I.E. shore or boat. Without these basic questions answered how in the heck can anybody make a recommendation on any reel? The Newell is a 20-30 lb test reel and a Baja Special is 40-50 lb reel which makes then used for different applications or different sized fish for the most part IMO. With the Newell who knows if they will ever be made or have parts available again.

broadway

SoCal,
    That is a good point, however, he only gave us two choices and mentioned he was a little light on funds.  I believe we all were giving him our recommendations based on the fact that he can only have one, and like you said the Newell is a 20-30 and the Penn 40-50 so better to go up then down, IMO.  Also, his profile says he lives in brazil where the moths are the size of pigeons and snakes as long as 4 men, not to mention the thongs... well you get what I mean ;)
Dom

SoCalAngler

Good one Dom, but what if this guy is looking for something to fish 15 lb test from shore would anyone still recommend the 113HN over the 220 for this?

redsetta

QuoteAlso, his profile says he lives in brazil where the moths are the size of pigeons and snakes as long as 4 men, not to mention the thongs... well you get what I mean  ;)
;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

What do moths the size of pigeons and and snakes the size of 4 men have to do with thongs?  Are you saying that the dongs are so big that they hang out of the thongs?   
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

To quote Alan, if I may, 'Ahem'...  ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

What would you be flossing Mel B  :-\ ?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

You got it right, you won't be disappointed with the Baja, Mel.
Mak, Keep your dongs to yourself  ;D
Sal, you remind me of my (older) brother... goating Mel into that one ;)
Justin is right, we have to behave now before our leader gives us a timeout.
Dom

Alto Mare

I don't know what your thinking about Dom, I was simply asking what he flosses. I use dental floss to keep the clam on the hook  when striper fishing ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.