My 1st reel takedown.

Started by usncporet, May 03, 2012, 12:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: usncporet on May 04, 2012, 09:54:09 PM
Used some kroil

Kroil is good stuf!  I ran out a few years ago, where are you getting it?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tile

Try Brownells. They sell loads of it.
In solid fiberglass we trust

broadway

Lee,
   That reminds me, I've gotta get more because I only have the silikroil which has silicone in it to be water resistant.  I'm not gonna use silicone inside my reels, but works great for dock/deck hardware.  Amazon.com or Brownells.com and lots of auto parts stores here in the Northeast carry it. Sears used to carry it, but not sure if they still do.
I have to agree that is some of the best stuff on the market to unstick fasteners, but didn't know it would dissolve the rust as well as it did for Mel B.

Dom

usncporet

Thanks for the great comments and questions. Being a newbie I greatly appreciate it.
Regular Kroil and a brass brush, a little elbow grease and some hoppes #9 with Q-tips in all the cracks and holes. Got the Kroil at Lowe's I believe a few years ago. I also like Sili-Kroil but didn't like the silicone idea inside the working parts. Going to spool it up with some 30# line tonight and work on the old 500 that it is replacing.
I really like the bench time!

sinkerswim

Wow,

You chose the right reel to cut your teeth on! It was a piece of cake right? This web site is the best. Now you can take on even the most challenging of reels. Nice job! Enjoy this hobby, very rewarding.

publius

Do a Google search for Kano Kroil and order it directly from the source. Great stuff and great job on the reel.

Bill B

Great job on what everyone would call a basket case, it's a wonder Penn is still in business when so many reels like these can be resurrected, or maybe that's why they're still in business because they produced such a great many products!!

Now...we saw the parts...how about the completed reel?  Thanks for sharing....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!