My 1st reel takedown.

Started by usncporet, May 03, 2012, 12:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usncporet

Bought this 500 Jigmaster and it was locked up tight! Even had fish scales inside!!

I opened it up. YUK!

That led to this and hopping on the web to get some parts!

This is where I am at to date. Notice the cold beer and  a new t-shirt from Scott's (because I ordered my 1st parts through him).

I'mm pretty proud of my first repair so far. I'll see what's in store when I put it back together and take it on a Rockfish trip the 15th. Wish me luck!!!

broschro

good luck :)Watch out it gets addictive

Alto Mare

Very nice usncporet. It's all down hill from there. Congratulations!
That bud light did a good job on those parts, I have to try some  ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

Good luck on your reel and fishing trip.  Rockcod fishing at San Clemente Island has been very good this year.

usncporet

2 good reports out of Avila since they reopened yesterday. May have to go out as soon as next week!

seaeagle2

Watch out, you're past the point of no return now....., next it will be handles, then checking ebay for bargains, you never know what you'll end up with, I got a 113h off ebay with newell bars and 4:1 gears for cheap.... I hear you guys in Cali hit the big swap meets looking for reels on the cheap.... I bet that won't be your last purchase from Scotts.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

broadway

That's quite an undertaking for the first time out... nice job!
I would change out the clutch and dog springs... they gotta be shot from being locked down for so long.
Good luck
Dom

Nessie Hunter

Welcome to the Dark Side..   Be afraid, be very afraid!!   LOL

;)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Keta

I see a lot of rust but I've seen far worse.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Are those the same parts after soaking?  If so what did you soak the parts in?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

Quote from: Pescachaser on May 03, 2012, 08:23:20 PM
Are those the same parts after soaking?  If so what did you soak the parts in?  Dominick

bud light!   ;D

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

usncporet

Used some kroil and hoppes #9 that was on hand. The Bud light is so rare that I couldn't use it!
The reel is finished and runs real smooth. Will try it out the 15th
Next up is going to be a 209!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: alantani on May 04, 2012, 08:42:27 PM
Quote from: Pescachaser on May 03, 2012, 08:23:20 PM
Are those the same parts after soaking?  If so what did you soak the parts in?  Dominick

bud light!   ;D

good one LOL...

Bryan Young

Okay, you need to teach us exactly what you have done to clean up those parts.  I could surely use that technique now with the reel I am working on.  PLEASE!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LetItFly

Wow some of those parts look almost new, great job on the rebuild