S/S Screws for Penn 113hlw

Started by ShoreKasterHI, May 03, 2012, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoreKasterHI

I have a old penn 113 hlw and was looking to replace the old screws with s/s ones prefably torx. Does anyone know what size they are? I know that they are 1/2 inch and i did a little research on here but only came up with 5-40 and 8-32 since two different sizes came up im kinda confused on which one to go with. THNX in advance

broschro

intili

They are definetly 5-40, go to mcmaster carr online.

alantani

yes, the side plate screws are 5-40.  i have searched high and low for a stainless steel 5-40 machine screw.  http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screw-fasteners/=he3tc1  i have never found a good alternative.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Fastenall is another good source if you want them by the thousand.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ShoreKasterHI

Ok. Thanks for the sites but unfortunately they don't ship to PO Boxes. So i'll have to go to the local hardware store when i get a chance.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: alantani on May 04, 2012, 08:05:53 PM
yes, the side plate screws are 5-40.  i have searched high and low for a stainless steel 5-40 machine screw.  http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screw-fasteners/=he3tc1  i have never found a good alternative.   :-\

Sal kindly shipped me two boxes of 5-40 Fillister Head ss screws (5/16" and 3/8 long) from McMaster Carr.
Great job on the smaller Penns.  (Long Beach, Jigmasters,  Delmares etc.)
BTW Penn are now fitting ss screws to their Chinese made reels.

Thanks Sal. ;D

Keta

Quote from: Irish Jigger on May 05, 2012, 08:05:11 AM

Are they metric?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Are they metric?
[/quote]

I don't know Lee but will check on Monday. Don't mention the "C" word here, if it's Penn and not "Made with pride in the USA" I avoid it like the plague. ;)

Keta

I have a Fathom 25N made in the PRC that is a well built reel, I hope they keep up the QC.

Mark Twain

alantani

i was working on a set of recent model 320 gt2's that were made in china.  the side plate rings were stainless steel.  in addition, the side plate screws and the bridge screws were also stainless steel.  because of these modest upgrades, i would call the chinese 320 superior to the american made one.  same for the jigmaster. 

you know, i was told by one of the penn guys that the chinese company will make a jigmaster and put it in a box and ship it to the united states.  you know what penn buys them for?  $7 per reel.  yup, a jigmaster in a box for $7. 

Irish Jigger

you know, i was told by one of the penn guys that the chinese company will make a jigmaster and put it in a box and ship it to the united states.  you know what penn buys them for?  $7 per reel.  yup, a jigmaster in a box for $7. 
[/quote]

The retail price of these reels has not dropped since they were made in the US.
The Penn shareholders must be happy bunnies.
The same cannot be said of the unemployed Penn employees in the US.

alantani

fortunately, all the people at penn still have their jobs.  they have shifted to the higher end models with a larger profit margin. apparently, this was the best way to keep the company from going under.  or at least, that is my understanding.   :-\

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Keta on May 05, 2012, 01:08:14 PM
Quote from: Irish Jigger on May 05, 2012, 08:05:11 AM

Are they metric?

Yes Lee ,they are Metric on the new Penn Fathom LW. At last Penn has come up with the bright idea of having both the screw and BB sizes clearly stated on their reel Schematics.  ;D

Keta

D'oh...............I should have thought to look on my Fathom 25N.

Mark Twain