S/S Screws for Penn 113hlw

Started by ShoreKasterHI, May 03, 2012, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

So would the 5-40 Fillister Head ss screws (5/16" and 3/8 long) from McMaster Carr work on all Penn models for side plates
and bottem reel seat areas?
I have and work on mostly 113H type in tiburon framed 4/0's, jig master , and squidders.
The majority of the flea bay finds have the sloted screw head all cheesed up.
A phillips heads would be easier to work with in the future as I get tired of wire brushing the corrosion
off on the tiny screws and cutting my fingers.
Is this correct?

5/16" - 100 -91794A125 -$6.11

3/8" -100 - 91794A126 $6.45

Quote from: Irish Jigger on May 05, 2012, 08:05:11 AM
Quote from: alantani on May 04, 2012, 08:05:53 PM
yes, the side plate screws are 5-40.  i have searched high and low for a stainless steel 5-40 machine screw.  http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screw-fasteners/=he3tc1  i have never found a good alternative.   :-\

Sal kindly shipped me two boxes of 5-40 Fillister Head ss screws (5/16" and 3/8 long) from McMaster Carr.
Great job on the smaller Penns.  (Long Beach, Jigmasters,  Delmares etc.)
BTW Penn are now fitting ss screws to their Chinese made reels.

Thanks Sal. ;D

Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Yes the 5-40 Fillister Head will work on all of the smaller reels, but for the 113H you will need the Oval Head type. The screw size is the same ( 5-40 ), but the Fillister Head will not work on the 113H. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gman_WC

Is this correct then?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screw-fasteners/=hqxcrn
Flat Head Phillips Machine Screws

5/16" - 100 - 91771A125 $5.79
3/8" - 100 - 91771A126 -$6.36

Screws have a standard 82° bevel under the head. Sizes noted below have an undercut head to allow more threading. Screws up to 2" long are fully threaded; those longer than 2" have at least 1 1/2" of thread. Length is measured from the top of the head

The ovals that they offer don't seem to come in 5-40  :'(
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

You're right, they don't carry the oval head in that size. I wouldn't get the flat head screws if I were you, I just tried some and  didn't like the way they're sitting. You might want to forget about ss screws for now and go with these: https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/32-17.aspx, you might receive ss screws anyway. Have you tried soaking the old screws in simple green for a couple of days? Mine usually come out nice and clean... if they're not too far gone.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gman_WC

Yea, they come out clean but I don't like running the wire brush on the threads and the heads are nasty on some.
I'm looking to replace with new phillips. I'll try scott's to see what he has.
Ouch, .55cents per screw  ??? no thanks.
Thanks
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Gman_WC

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find the correct 5/40 (SS screws)  5/16" - 3/8" for 113H.
Does anyone make them or am I wasting my time?  :'(
I'd be happy to buy a 1000 of each to start swapping out my 4/0's and share.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Irish Jigger

I've tried too, without success. The originals cost a little more over here but there appears to be no alternative in ss for the 113H.

Take a look at these although as Sal has pointed out they may not look right when fitted.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Machine-Phillips-Length/dp/B000FN7X9I

CooldadE

With all the time and effort we all put into our Hot Rod reels. Why not just chuck the screws up in a drill press and file/ polish them to a more pleasing/ better fitting shape?
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Irish Jigger

Good point CooldadE, works great with ss screws. I just modified some  5-40 ss  fillister head screws to replace damaged Penn handle lock screws #110-60.  Screw them into an old Penn handle and cut to length after reducing head to 0."17 diameter in drill press.

Alto Mare

Hey Gary, here is what the flat head ss screws look like. I'm using a reel with custom red rings to show more detail, it look just as bad on the chromed rings:

Gman_WC

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 31, 2012, 09:26:40 AM
Hey Gary, here is what the flat head ss screws look like. I'm using a reel with custom red rings to show more detail, it look just as bad on the chromed rings:

Nice looking reel! I see what you mean. The head does not sit flush and I see the snags coming or cuts.
You would think that someone would make them!
I don't want to waste time cutting, cleaning , polishing screws. I'd just rather buy 1k and be done with it.
Walnut Creek, CA

elnath

Gman_WC

Quote from: elnath on May 31, 2012, 09:16:19 PM
Here is another source for small quantities of the 5/40 ss screws (in a pan head).

They are slotted not torx/phillips, but at least are the right size/head configuration and ss....

http://www.amazonsupply.com/stainless-steel-machine-binding-slotted/dp/B003R7JE8M/ref=sr_1_1?sr=1-1&qid=1338498746&filterBy.feature_eleven_browse-bin=3622112011&filterBy.size_name=%235-40&filterBy.feature_seven_browse-bin=3071476011%2C3071462011%2C3071453011%2C3071478011%2C3071489011

I think thats what Sal is using and were trying to get away from so they sit frush with the ring and not on top of it.
They need to have an oval shape on  the underside. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

No Gary, those are not like the ones I'm showing . The screws that i'm showing are beveled on the underside. You would think a machinist would jump on the opportunity to make some serious money here :-\.

Gman_WC

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 31, 2012, 11:07:27 PM
No Gary, those are not like the ones I'm showing . The screws that i'm showing are beveled on the underside. You would think a machinist would jump on the opportunity to make some serious money here :-\.

Yea, I find it hard to believe that with the 113/113h Senator's being penn's all time top seller that correct aftermarket SS screws are unavailable?
I'd replace all of my slotted screws with phillip in a heartbeat. -g
Walnut Creek, CA