The Mariners 49, 149, 249, 349

Started by john2244, May 03, 2012, 03:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

A group of Penn Mariners for your review.  First a couple of 49's front and back, a 49 Super Mariner,
a 149 Mariner, 249 Mariner/Angler, and a 349 Master Mariner with red side plates.
Note the perforated spool on the 149 mariner.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

It's a cracker collection John - keeps getting better!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

john2244

akfish

All you are missing is the 49A -- the wide version of the 49 made for the South African market. They show up occasionally on eBay and I actually found one locally in Juneau, Alaska. It's been gone for a few years...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

john2244

Thanks Bill. I forgot about that reel, I did read about it awhile back.
I guess I need to find " ONLY ONE MORE REEL AND THEN I'AM DONE".

George4741

Quote from: john2244 on May 04, 2012, 02:17:12 AM
Thanks Bill. I forgot about that reel, I did read about it awhile back.
I guess I need to find " ONLY ONE MORE REEL AND THEN I'AM DONE".

No, John, you are NOT done.  By my count, you still need all three versions of the 349, H, and HC.  And don't forget both of the red and black versions of them. ;D ;D ;D

Nice reels, and it's good to see you (and/or the original purchaser) save the boxes.  I wish most of my Penns had the original boxes. :'(
George
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

George,

OK, the H and HC, I guess I better start taking down the wedding pictures so I have room for them.  Anyone have a room for rent with a private bathroom !!
John

akfish

I guess if we are big fanatical about this <g>, you need to get 49s with all 5 spool versions: plastic, chromed brass, steel, aluminum, and large arbor for wire line. Also, get a latest model 49 with the replaceable clicker spring. There are at least two different left side plate scenes too I used to be this way but learned better....
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Quote from: john2244 on May 05, 2012, 01:35:51 AM
 Anyone have a room for rent with a private bathroom !!

How about a barn and outhouse?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

john2244

Well, I think I am done with the Mariners.  This is a nice little group plus a couple I have in the garage on rods.
BUT, you never know !!!   Lee, if I take down one more picture I will need to call you regarding the barn and outhouse.
John

Joker

Quote from: akfish on May 04, 2012, 12:48:18 AM
All you are missing is the 49A -- the wide version of the 49 made for the South African market. They show up occasionally on eBay and I actually found one locally in Juneau, Alaska. It's been gone for a few years...

There's quite a few out here in South Africa.

Most of the 49A's are used on boats.

Some of the older anglers still use the 49's, not the 49A's, from the shore. They swear by it, although there are more modern and lighter reels available.
I LOVE
it when
MY WIFE
lets me go fishing

George4741

Quote from: akfish on May 04, 2012, 12:48:18 AM

I wasn't aware that there was a wide version. :o  Are they the same width as a 349 wahoo special?  Thanks akfish, now I have another reel to look for on ebay.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

Quote from: George4741 on May 07, 2012, 03:53:14 PM
Are they the same width as a 349 wahoo special? 
George

Never mind ;D  I googled 49A and found more info.  Apparently they have a 30-200 reel foot and plastic spool. 
George
viurem lliures o morirem