Tuna cord knot

Started by Maxed Out, May 03, 2012, 07:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Picked this one up off another forum last year.

thread line thru, hold a loop in your thumb(pic #2), wrap down towards terminal 4 times then back thru the loop held by thumb, then tighten by pulling mainline followed by a small tug on the tail end......Result is a nice bulletproof knot.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Looks simple enough Ted, I'll give it a try. Thanks for showing it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Good knot, thanks Ted.
I often tie unis and this seems a variation on that and an improved clinch.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

would probably be improved if you went through the swivel eye twice.
just make sure they are parallel and not crossed.

Maxed Out

Quote from: wallacewt on May 04, 2012, 07:41:09 AM
would probably be improved if you went through the swivel eye twice.
just make sure they are parallel and not crossed.

If you go thru the swivel twice it will never pull tight. We've landed many big fish with this same knot, so I don't think going twice thru the swivel is neccessary.

Keta

Quote from: Max Doubt on May 04, 2012, 03:47:13 PM
If you go thru the swivel twice it will never pull tight.

X2, I've tried it with tuna cord and it locks down before the knot is tight.  If you want to go thru twice a 4-5 turn nail not works.

Are you making handlines?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

[/quote]

X2, I've tried it with tuna cord and it locks down before the knot is tight.  If you want to go thru twice a 4-5 turn nail not works.

Are you making handlines?
[/quote]

No, hand lines will be later for when the tuna show up. I'm making a shock cord with a dropper loop connector for halibut fishing. Pipe jig hangs off the bottom swivel and about 2/3 the way up another corkscrew swivel for connecting the dropper loop with 9" b-2 squid, then mainline attaches to the top swivel.

Here's a pic.

Keta

Halibut leaders was my second guess.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

ok ive never used this knot
2 loops are out
thanks guys

broadway

Hey Ted,

Thanks for sharing this knot.  If you say it's bullet proof I'm sure you've tested it on some big 'buts' . One thing, I'm unclear on step two... you say hold the loop in your thumb, but you have two loops in your thumb.  It's throwing me off to where I can't even see how it's done.
Sorry for being a knucklehead, but I would like to give this knot a shot with some heavy mono (if you think it would work well with mono).
Thanks,
Dom

saltydog

When I used to commercial fish that was the only knot we ever used cause it is so very close to 100% and it works for everything from 4# to 400# mono,it also works on braid but with 6 wraps and a couple of half hitches for security.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Jim

San Diego Jam knot is the name of it. Tied with the line doubled it's always the winner (or occasionally second to a trilene) at the Fred Hall Show knot tying contest.