"Old School" Project Now Complete

Started by SoCalAngler, May 04, 2012, 01:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

The retro project is complete. I refurbished the Peen Monofil No. 27 M, installed new drags and greased and lubed everything up. The handle now turns several times with just a flick, free spool almost doubled and the greased Carbontex drags are delivering 11 lbs of pressure. I'm going to fish this reel every now and then when I feel like going old school. Also I was able to match this reel with a old school stick too. Here is what I have been restoring with the reel the last couple of days. Don't pay much attention to the line rating this stick is a 15-20 test rod, line ratings were much different back then as to now.

Got all the corrosion off the reel seat.

Also off all the guides.

I think these two will work great together. I can't wait to fish them.

Man I need to hit the water before I loose my mind, start buying more gear or both.

broadway

SoCal,
    I wireline on an old friends boat (75 y/o) with a couple old sabre rods... love the bend in 'em!
I can't tell there was any corrosion at all... nice job!
Dom

john2244

Nice job on that Sabre.  I love the "OLD SCHOOL" set ups.

redsetta

Nice work SoCal - that's a great-looking set up.
I'm with John, long live the 'old school'!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

SoCalAngler

For those that don't the back ground of the rod this Sabre rod was built by California Tackle the company Leon Todd of Calstar worked for before he retired. Leon stayed out of the rod building business for a few years before he got back into it and started Calstar. After California Tackle closed Penn which had bought a rod building company so they could make rods here in the states, also bought the rights to the names Sabre and Stroker and started making rods with those names. The "true" Sabre's were built by California Tackle and not Penn and these are the rods some people try to hunt down. Once Penn started building under these names the quality and preformance was lacking IMO.

Oh and thanks for the kind words guys.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

usncporet

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

sinkerswim

Sure is PURDY! Nice job! How'd you remove the corrosion?

SoCalAngler

Quote from: sinkerswim on May 06, 2012, 01:28:09 AM
Sure is PURDY! Nice job! How'd you remove the corrosion?

CLR has a bathroom version of their product which is foaming and clings onto the guides and reel seat better than the non foaming stuff and does not run off so easily. Spray on, let stand a few minutes, scrub with the green scratchy pads used for cleaning dishes while still foamy and wet. Hard to reach places get scrubed with a tooth brush. Rinse, let dry and repeat if or where necessary.