155 Upgarde Question

Started by hartman37, May 05, 2012, 08:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hartman37

My buddy has a 155 that he would like me to upgrade with a tiburon frame, aluminum spool, HT-100 washers etc.  I was wondering if I could narrow it by using a 29L-100 spool and the Tiburon p-16 frame?  Should I use a stainless gear sleeve?  How much drag can I expect to get out of this reel?  Thanks in advance.

hartman37

So I found out that the spool and frame combo are supposed to work- any thoughts on the stainless sleeve?  Is it even necessary for the amount of drag this reel is capable of?

akfish

I really don't think that upgrading a 155 is worth it. The drag washers in that reel are smaller than a Squidder -- dime size with a large hold in the middle -- and getting more than even 8 pounds of drag will be difficult. There is no need for a frame o stainless steel gear sleeve with a 155. There's just not enough to start with...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

hartman37

Thanks for the reply- appreciate it.  So should I look for a Squidder to mod, or is there another Penn with the same size sideplates that has larger drags?   

john2244

The side plate diameter of a Penn squidder 146 is the same as a Penn 100.  You may also want to consider a Penn 501 or 506, good drag and a very nice size reel. Side plate diameter of a 146 is approx. 2 3/4"  and the side plate diameter of a Penn 501/506 is
approx 3".
John

akfish

Yea, your best bet is a Baby Jigmaster 501 or High Speed Baby Jigmaster 506. These reels have more than twice as much drag area and a much faster retrieve than a 155 or Squidder. But they are still, at most, 30# class reels. Remember that when these reels came out, line was so thick -- this was pre-spectra -- that filling them with even 30# line meant you have only a few yards of line to fish. The idea of "small reels, big fish" is very recent.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Quote from: john2244 on May 06, 2012, 11:12:21 PM
The side plate diameter of a Penn squidder 146 is the same as a Penn 100.  

Quiet, I'm still trying to pick up a few more Surfmaster 100s and 150s.  

If you don't need speed (3:1) the Surfmaster reels are nice for albacore/salmon sized fish.  They use the slightly larger 6-60 drag washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

hartman37

QuoteThey use the slightly larger 6-60 drag washers.

Thanks.  Good tip!  If I run across one on e-bay I wont bid it up too much. ;)