Question about handle "slop" on a Shimano TTS 50W

Started by Pescatoral Pursuit, May 05, 2012, 09:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pescatoral Pursuit

Hi,

I'm considering buying this reel but want to avoid costly problem down the road.

If you hold the spool still, the handle will move in excess of 1/2" forward/ backward. Is this normal, or a sign of excessive wear?

Thanks,

Chuck

alantani

it sounds like alot.  it should be the same as a shimano tld 50.  you might have significant damage to the handle where it connects to the drive shaft.  there could also be damage to the gears.  gear damage could account for some of the slop, but you notice it when cranking. 

here's something that i do not remember.  does this reel have a carbon fiber drag washer or is it made out of canvas like the other single speed shimano lever drags?   with no parts available, i'd probably pass on this reel.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

marc77

The drag disc is made of canvas.  It is a durable material and will last a long time.

I have two of these reels.  I purchased them new many years ago.  I caught many tuna, sharks and swordfish on them.  They are very well built and strong.  The spool is the same size as the Tiagra 50W.  However, the TTS is a much lighter reel.  It will do everything that a Tiagra will do but in a much lighter reel.

I had one of them converted into a two speed, like the one shown in the picture above.

It is normal to have a bit of handle play in them.  That is the way they were made.

If anyone needs a main gear for this reel, I have one which I never used.

josa1

Yes, the handle movement seems like a lot. If it's gear related Cal Sheets could probably help.

I have 4 of these reels and have used them for years.  They're all 2-Speed upgraded by Cal.  I still use the canvas drag washers.  The drags are smooth and strong.  I totally strip and clean the reels after each trip and they've always served me well.  I clean the drag washer with electrical contact cleaner if it gets grease on it.

In recent years, I've added a Tiagra 50W that I use for a kite duty and a Penn 50 S that is my go-to sardine reel.   

Largest fish I've ever caught, 283 and 277, both at San Benedicto, were on this type reel.  I caught the 283 on the reel and 80 pound line before it was two-speed converted, two hours 45 minutes and a broken Sabre rod later, I was first in the conversion line.  Several other 200 + tuna were caught on these reels, and I've never had one malfunction.  Guess I'll fish them until I finally give it up.

I have a limited number of parts and a new drag washer that I've never used.  I also bought a reel to use for parts, mostly needed the spool to replace one that had a bad corrosion spot due to my laziness in not removing and cleaning the spectra line after one trip.  The only real thing I've broken on the reels is plastic parts.

Josa