113h bridge assembly stretch?

Started by suitekids, May 06, 2012, 12:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suitekids

I picked up a reel off of the bay reasonable, I also picked up two mint combo's today, I under went the tear down and cleaning process on the one I got from Ebay and it seems there is excessive endplay in the handle in and out and a tad side to side. In comparison to the minty reels I got today this slop is ALOT more than it should be.. Also there was an extra spring washer under the star drag. The other minty reels only have one spring washer between the star drag and spacer, looking at the half frame senator schematics a single washer is correct, is it safe to assume whoever had this reel put that extra washer in to pick up on some of that slop? And is it safe to assume the bridge assembly is toast and needs replacement, at any rate it was all nicely greased up with a new set of HT100 drags in it and they were clean and ungreased, what do ya'll think??

Alto Mare

Hello Suitekids, These reels could come with one spring washer or two, sometimes more. A spring washer does not adjust the slop with the handle, it is simply a spacer that helps you adjust your drag sensitivity. some like to set the drag really low, I'm one of them. to adjust the slop in the handle, you'll need to add a washer under the gear sleeve. Here is a picture of a larger reel that had the same issue:

You could use aa stainless steel washer or brass. Hope this is helpful. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

suitekids

YES!!!!! that makes alot of sense now, thats where the issue seems to be is the sleeve moves excessively up and down on the bridge post (I guess thats what you call it). Thank you sir!!!!

suitekids

Are those shims easily available?

Makule

Quote from: suitekids on May 17, 2012, 11:41:03 PM
Are those shims easily available?

Just use washers you can get from the hardware store.  Brass will be smoother (but you'll probably not notice the difference) and stainless will last longer.  If the sleeve is brass, better to use brass washer.  Dissimilar metals don't play well together, especially in a salt water environment.

Since you say there is also a lot of side-to-side play, it may mean that either the post or sleeve is/are worn excessively.  That would cause both up and down, and the sideways play.  If that is the case, consider replacing the sleeve (get a SS sleeve).  The post is SS so it should be okay.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.