500 Jigmaster difference/date question.

Started by usncporet, May 06, 2012, 11:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usncporet

Been using the 500 on the right for awhile and the left is newly cleaned and repaired. How can I tell the approximate year of make on these and why is there a difference in posts/spacer bar? Is this an indicator as to how old they might be? Thanks in advance!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Difficult to tell the age of these reels. The left one looks older than the right one as it has the chrome spool and torpedo handle although the two solid spacing bars have been replaced with four single posts.
The 500 has been in production from the 40's and is now made in China.
Today's version has the solid spacing bars,anodised aluminium spool and soft grip handle.

LI Guy

The 500 with individual round bars for posts is the oldest. discontinued in mid seventies I believe. Next came the 500s. These had solid spacer bars and the take apart screw was on the left side plate, not the right. After this came the 500l with an aluminum spool and the solid spacer bars with the rectangular cut outs as shown in your photo. This time line is just a ball park figure as far as exact years of changes. But I believe it's fairly close.

bluefish69

I have the 500 S.

The price on the box is $27.85
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 02, 2012, 11:55:24 PM
I have the 500 S.

The price on the box is $27.85

I'll take two.  PM me for payment.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

I am thinking of doing a full Newell conversion - with 5-1 brand new gears. Before I put it in storage forever.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.