Upgrading the retrieve rate on Penn 2/0

Started by Roger Melly, May 07, 2012, 10:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Melly

Hi all, just registered and have a question.......
I have recently been given  a Penn Senator 2/0 size multi, it is in good condition, and in original spec, quite old, but works very well, and is very solid, something that some modern reels seem to lack,but I am a bit down on the retrieve rate,I wondered if it is possible to upgrade the gearing to increase the wind in speed ?
I need this as when I drift wrecks for Pollock, when I touch the bottom I have to wind in quickly to get above the ironwork to avoid getting snarled up, at the moment I have to wind like crazy, a bit more speed would help lots.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Or should I just continue to use my other reels ?   ???

Roger.

redsetta

G'day Roger,
Tom (Irish Jigger) fitted a set of Jigmaster 5:1 gears (part Nos 005-505 and 013-505) to a 112H.
He had to file two clearance 'steps' in the stainless steel pinion reinforcing ring (013-505) in order to clear the spool spindle drive flats.
QuoteFiddly but easily done using a 1/8 in dia. needle file.
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Hello Roger, Welcome! I have not seen anyone upgrading a Penn 111 as pf yet, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done. Some of these guys and myself included didn't get to it yet. I'm sure that if there is a way, we'll find it. Justin is thinking of the 112H, these reels already come with a 4:1 gear ratio.... just like a jigmaster.  If you need to use the 2/0, there is a unit that mount on the exterior of the reel, but it's not cheap. If you're interested, here is one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330725625577?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
For what you're looking for, I would go with a stock Jigmaster or a 112H. Good luck! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Roger Melly

Cheers Guys, the outside unit looks the way to go at the  moment, but I was thinking more of just upgrading the gears without any external mods.... If anybody else has any ideas it would be great.

ROGER.

akfish

It's going to be very tough to upgrade that reel: There just isn't room in the side plate for a main gear of larger diameter, and Penn makes no gear of the same diameter with smaller teeth and thus a higher retrieve rate. The 2/0 111 was a great little reel. But slow.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Irish Jigger

I must agree with the other posters here. I use a standard Penn 112h (4:1) spooled with 55lb Dynon 3000 for wreck Pollack down to 300ft.
Don't over fill the spool as these reels are not too braid friendly. ;)
It's probably cheaper picking up another reel than modifying your 2/0.

Roger Melly

I have a 112H, and have been having a look inside them both that and the 2/0,I agree that there is very little room inside the 2/0 for customising , the retreive on the 112H is a lot faster, I may just put the 2/0 onto the shelf with the other display reels and enjoy looking at it...
Thanks again all for the imput, I am very pleased with the response to  a new members questions.
Just goes to show that info is there for the asking if you go to the right place.
( Sometimes  information is hidden in books, the internet is a wonderful place )

Tight lines all.

Roger

Keta

I think the spool shaft is larger on the slow speed reels and the pinion would have to be bored out to work, if there is room for a larger main gear.

Quote from: Roger Melly on May 07, 2012, 01:30:26 PM
I may just put the 2/0 onto the shelf with the other display reels and enjoy looking at it...

I'm putting together a 113HW from parts to trade for a 113 so I have one to gather dust and look at old Penn craftsmanship.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

QuoteJustin is thinking of the 112H, these reels already come with a 4:1 gear ratio....
Whoops - sorry about that.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

Quote from: redsetta on May 08, 2012, 07:08:28 AM
QuoteJustin is thinking of the 112H, these reels already come with a 4:1 gear ratio....
Whoops - sorry about that.

You were quite right Justin,the 112H can be be upgraded to 5:1 by using a modified set of Jigmaster 5:1 gears.

Alto Mare

Tom, I don't believe that there would ever be a need to correct you or Justin, you guys are amazing. I was simply pointing out that Roger was asking about a 111, not a 112. All is good ;). Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.