CV-X203A/Luna 203

Started by Sith Lord, May 08, 2012, 05:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sith Lord

Hi, New to the board.  I'll start by saying this site is Fantastic!  I recently found a "near mint condition" Millionaire CV-X203 for $50  ;D.  I've already upgraded the drag with carbontex and have downloaded schematics for this, TD Luna, and the CV-Z. I am really looking at upgrading to the specs of the TD Luna 203 (bearings and spool).  My findings show that the bushing under the main drive shaft is the only upgradable part.?.?  Also interesting is that the CV-Z has a bearing in the side plate under the star drag that the other two both lack, key no 80.  Additionally, I have searched google and can not find an answer.  Will the spool assembly from the Luna be a direct fit into the CV-X?

Heres a few pics of my reel.  I'm very impressed with its performance so far, cant wait to see it's performance potential!

Thanks for reading..

Rob    

LTM

Before you spend bucks for the spool assembly, measure the bearings and contact Dawn at smoothdrag.com and see if she has them in stock. Otherwise, see if Boca bearings has the ones you need. I've a Luna 203 and a CVX-253 which have different size spools so I cant check for you. The CVX is a good little 12# Calico bass reel.

Leo

alantani

the bushing should be a standard size (meaning dimensions in whole millimeters), but i'm not really sure they should be replaced.  if the cranking is smooth enough, you might just leave it be.  or at least wait until be becomes a problem.  i think it is likely that a bearing will fail before a bushing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Sith Lord

Thanks for the replies.  Good call on the cranking smoothness.  I actually got my hands on a Luna today to test side by side with my reel.  Honestly, they felt VERY similar while cranking.  I am waiting for a reply from Toby at Daiwa service regarding spool interchangability.  He's a great guy and has helped me out before with my other reels.  I want every possible benefit to aid in casting (I fish from the surf, targeting Halibut mostly.  With crankbaits, so I like to cover a lot of water).  The lighter spool and Bocas should get me what I need.  I plan on updating posts with my results.   :)