Stuck Inner Ring Penn 12/0

Started by Blue Collar Bob, May 08, 2012, 09:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Collar Bob

A very generous fellow on another fishing forum sent me an older senator with bushings and a three piece spool to rob parts off of for a reel I'm trying to repair. The spool on his donor reel busted. I need one inner ring and one outer ring off of the donor reel. I'm having trouble separating one of the rings from the side plate. The fit is tight, with no gaps to gently pry at. Anyone have any tips for removing the ring without damaging the ring and/or side plate.

Also, the click drag was missing from the reel I'm working on(chrome spool). This part was on the donor reel. It appeared to be soldered on and I removed the two pieces cleanly. The three piece spool was keyed to receive these parts, but the spindle on mine is round. I'm considering just centering them up and soldering them. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a better idea to offer.

Thanks, Bob

redsetta

G'day Bob,
I work a box knife (or blade) around the edge of the ring, gently prying as I go.
Once the gap opens up a little, step up to a wider/stronger blade or screwdriver - go easy though.
It may take a few times around, but has always worked for me.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Blue Collar Bob

Thanks redsetta. I gave it a bit of a go with a knife earlier, but the blade wasn't nearly as fine as a box cutter and I didn't want to try to force anything. I'll try that tonight. Man, this reel has a very tight and smooth seam where the ring and side plate join. I hate that the spool busted on the fellow that sent it to me, because this reel has beautiful side plates. He's a real generous man to help me out. The clicker gear is something that has been hard to find.

Blue Collar Bob

john2244

X2 on Justin's comments.  I start a with single edge razor blade and spray some WD40 between the ring and the side plate. Then move up to a knive with a wider and stronger blade.  Sometime I need to let to set for awhile but they have always come off.
John

Alto Mare

Good idea with the blade guys. Just be careful with that WD-40, it might cause the plates to swell, if you use enough of it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yup, old pocket knife and something to tap it with.  go very slowly.    :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!