penn 50 sw

Started by dtbb825, May 09, 2012, 12:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtbb825

hi all, i have a question about a penn 50 sw that i recently acquired. i planned on doing the usual to it, greased carbon fiber drag open and lube all bearings, cut a bearing sleeve grease and reassemble. well when i went to cut a bearing sleeve i noticed that the spool bearings are two different ids.  this was a used reel, so maybe someone installed an incorrect bearing?or maybe that's how this reel is suppose to be? i am not sure. if this is how it is suppose to be, how do you make a sleeve with two different ods? i was thinking of maybe brazing a brass washer to one side of the sleeve or maybe turning a custom sleeve, but i wanted some more input on this. any help would be greatly appreciated.

kamuwela

i looked at the schematic and you are right. it looks they show bearing number 55 and 55a.  the 55 in the right side plate and the 55a in same side of the spool. 55a in the left plate and 55 in the spool ??? are you planing on casting this reel?  clean all the bearings good and lube with t.s.i. then check the free spool.  you should be fine without the sleeve if its too much trouble to make one up.

dtbb825

i wasn't planning on casting with it, its gonna be used for trolling and chunking, i just wanted to do all the upgrades. but it looks like its gonna be more trouble than its worth to make the sleeve, especially since it will only help with increased free spool which i don't really need.

kamuwela

i grease all bearings on trolling reels, free spool can be anywhere from 15 seconds and up. if you want more then try tsi. good luck. dont worry about the sleeve a good service and im sure youll be more then happy.

alantani

if the bearing sleeve rattles around on one side, it will not matter that much.  when you use a tubing cutter on the brass tubing, the brass will be necked down a little.  think of a brass cartridge for a bullet.  still, for trolling you will not need that much freespool.  maybe for chunking it would be nice.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!