Chinese 113HL

Started by Makule, May 09, 2012, 03:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonrokoy

Quote from: akfish on June 16, 2012, 12:17:09 PM
To pre-service your reel, you'll need to open it up, spread a thin coat of grease on all internal metal parts and apply drag grease to the drag washers. And be sure to put a few drops of Corrosion-X or a similar anti-corrosion lubricant on the gear sleeve of you do not remove it from the bridge and grease it. It's not rocket science, but it is important to keep track of where everything goes so you can get your reel back together...

Will try to do that. Need to study the schematics first as I don't have any clue what those parts  look like.  ;D  Thanks, akfish.

JasonF

Zonrokoy, I would not worry too much about the schematic and just follow one of the sticky threads in this forum appropriate to your model.  The schematic will prove useful for things like orientation of belvilles, but seeing pictures of it being done is priceless.  Dont be intimidated.  I am new to it as well but have found success in taking advantage of the vast amount of experience found here.  Cheers! J

zonrokoy

Good suggestion. Thanks Jason.

zonrokoy

Opened my 113H2 today and look what I found. Must be the reason this reel can't reach 20lbs drag. Not good.

Bryan Young

zonrokoy,

That drag washer isn't so bad.  It will still function fine, and that little loss in surface area is not the true reason you are not getting your drag limit.  It may be part of it, but it's an additive reason.  There's other things going on, but note that these reels were not designed for 20# of drag.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

They claim that the 113HL should get 20lb out of the box...I can bring mine to close to 30lb with no problems, but mine is out of my box ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Just curious, was that drag washer out of a new reel or did the washer loose the missing piece during use? and is the reel a chinese reel?  if a new reel just being serviced where was the quality control during the assembly of the reel....just wondering out loud.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

probably quality control in the stamping process of the drag washers...you cannot waste a thing...

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 23, 2012, 04:13:44 PM
They claim that the 113HL should get 20lb out of the box...I can bring mine to close to 30lb with no problems, but mine is out of my box ;).
Really? I guess I never though of the 113H as a 60# class reel, and normally max 50# class.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Zonrokoy, you have every right to be ungry, but I bet if you pop that washer in, it will do just fine.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

My chinese 115l2 has held up good over the past two years. It is the batch that was made after all the bugs were fixed and everything was properly greased so i am upgrading it all the way now. I wish it was made in the usa but its still a goodern
Grayson Lanier

zonrokoy

Quote from: TARFU on July 23, 2012, 05:59:21 PM
Just curious, was that drag washer out of a new reel or did the washer loose the missing piece during use? and is the reel a chinese reel?  if a new reel just being serviced where was the quality control during the assembly of the reel....just wondering out loud.
Yes, it is a new reel and a chinese made one too.

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 23, 2012, 10:25:01 PM
Zonrokoy, you have every right to be ungry, but I bet if you pop that washer in, it will do just fine.
I hope it does. Just disappointed that Penn decided to install a clearly defective part.

Taily

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 23, 2012, 07:13:21 PM
probably quality control in the stamping process of the drag washers...you cannot waste a thing...

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 23, 2012, 04:13:44 PM
Really? I guess I never though of the 113H as a 60# class reel, and normally max 50# class.

From what I've found every now and again I'll find a reel that will do everything its supposed to - just that bit better than all of the others ones of the same make/model. Before stocks ran out I bought a few new USofA manufactured 113H's and a 112H. One of the 113H's is a drag monster - it tests about 8lbs (4kg) higher than the other reel (tests at 32lb v's 24lb), even after stripping them both down and giving them exactly the same servicing - and then re-stripping them down to re-check BOTH of them to make sure I hadn't made a mistake when I re-assembled them using all standard components (drag washers etc) that they came with. I was looking at the finish and run-out of the metal washers, the texture of the HT100 weave etc to try and work it out. They are both identical units made in the US.

Dunno, but I will be keeping that one for future years when I kill my other three (2 with alloy frames, one with the whole narrow spool and Accuplates) I use each time I go wet a line....  ;D.

The 112H I bought in a moment of weakness, thinking about the (then) coming H2's.

Regards,

Dave.

Nunc est bibendum....