Chinese 113HL

Started by Makule, May 09, 2012, 03:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Had a chance to work on a Chinese made 113HL today.  Liked the SS yoke, although it seemed kinda thin.  Otherwise, it didn't seem as beefy as the old reels I have.  Side plates didn't look as nice either.

Are they not as strong?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

el greco

only time will tell they have flooded the market here in south oz.  114h2 going for $99aud tempted but will hold out for the real thing i do not know about you guys the colours used on the side plates look  weird and the picture of the fish on the side plate looks like it has been done by a two year old to me the reel looks like one that was sold here a few years by ABU . cheers

akfish

I'm starting to see a few 113H2 and 114H2 reels up here in Alaska. My initial impressions are these: First, many ship without and grease or just a clump of grease stuck somewhere inside -- not on the gears, etc. -- so it is vital that they be pre-serviced. Second, some of the metal components are made of thinner stock. For example, it looks like the foot is a bit thinner than on older models. Still, they are OK reels worth the price if fished within their limits.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Makule

QuoteFirst, many ship without and grease or just a clump of grease stuck somewhere inside -- not on the gears, etc.

That explains why the sleeve was totally stuck to the shaft.  Had to drive out the retaining pin, soak in acetone, and then work loose with the handle attached.  Handle nut looked like a regular nut and it was very corroded.

Drag washers looked like carbontex, but were starting to fall apart.  Thought that was unusual, but could have just been a function of having rust on them.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Grease might not be the only explanation, Albert. I've used reels from China in the past and quickly got rid of them. The quality in material is not the same as the reels made in USA. I took a reel on a trip and after a couple of days, I noticed rust starting to form on screw heads and other chromed parts;  I had other reels that were made in USA at the same time, those reels still look the same today. If you open up a made in China 4/0 or 6/0 after it has been fished a couple of times, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seaeagle2

In the industry I work in, twice now we've had manufacturers spec the components to be used, they've gotten the samples back from China, everything's great, meets specs, passes all the tests,  then somewhere down the road after production has started.... Failures, upon examination, someone, somewhere has substituted a cheaper resistor...... apparently someone at the factory level charges the "as specced" price, then subs a cheaper substandard part, and pockets the difference.  Possibly that's what's happening with the metal in the reels.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Makule

QuoteIf you open up a made in China 4/0 or 6/0 after it has been fished a couple of times, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Well, that's what happened to the reel I worked on.  The guy won it in some kind of raffle, used if for a while, and then it started getting harder and harder to crank until it wouldn't turn.  Looked clean on the inside (I.E., no salt buildup), but I did see rust.

Quotesomeone at the factory level charges the "as specced" price, then subs a cheaper substandard part

Sound like bait a switch.  Company that does that probably won't last long.  Problem with the offshore companies is that they are like chameleons that keep changing their color (name).  You think you're dealing with someone else, but when you dig deep enough the same guy (or company) is behind it.

Irish Jigger

If don't mind the Chinese producing knock off's but they should at least have the decency not to call them Penn's.

George4741

I bought my first jigmaster 4 years ago.  It was made in china.  The first time I was winding mono on it, the gear sleeve froze on the bridge.  I disassembled it, cleaned it up with steel wool, and lubed it.  It hasn't given me trouble since, but that left a bad taste in my mouth. >:(  Other than buying a Penn 760 Slammer, I haven't bought another Chinese made Penn, and I won't, either.
viurem lliures o morirem

Makule

This discussion reminds me of the stuff that came out of Japan soon after WWII,  The Japanese were great imitators, but they didn't have good raw materials.  Consequently, although their items were very similar to USA stuff, they were inferior because the parts used fell apart (or were under-engineered).  People shied away from the Made in Japan stuff and moved to Made in USA.  The clever Japanese started coming out with "Made In USA" stuff that was actually made in Japan.  It was no lie.  They created a manufacturing town in Japan and named it Usa.

Fortunately for them, their level of quality has vastly improved.  Unfortunately, their prices have gone up too.

wallacewt

they'll wake up,so will the prices

zonrokoy

Hi. Total fishing noob here. Too late, I have just purchased a chinese 113H2 that I still have not used.
Anyway, I have read somewhere in this forum that these reels be pre-serviced before using. Any idea how to do this? Is it similar to the tutorial in the thread titled "113h/114h short version"? Any tips to properly maintain this reel? Thanks

JasonF

My Penn experience is limited as I am a loyal Shimano user, but I know that the 115L2 that I am working on was greased in all of the right places.  I do not have any issues with the materials found in my Chinese model.  The side plate plastic was very dense when I was dremeling on it.  Everything seems solid enough.  Keep in mind we are not talking about high dollar reels here.  My expectations are not high.  I just want the enjoyment of optimizing it, customising it, and fishing it.  That being said, I wish it were American!

akfish

To pre-service your reel, you'll need to open it up, spread a thin coat of grease on all internal metal parts and apply drag grease to the drag washers. And be sure to put a few drops of Corrosion-X or a similar anti-corrosion lubricant on the gear sleeve of you do not remove it from the bridge and grease it. It's not rocket science, but it is important to keep track of where everything goes so you can get your reel back together...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Quote from: JasonF on June 16, 2012, 06:58:55 AM
My Penn experience is limited as I am a loyal Shimano user, but I know that the 115L2 that I am working on was greased in all of the right places.  I do not have any issues with the materials found in my Chinese model.  The side plate plastic was very dense when I was dremeling on it.  Everything seems solid enough.  Keep in mind we are not talking about high dollar reels here.  My expectations are not high.  I just want the enjoyment of optimizing it, customising it, and fishing it.  That being said, I wish it were American!
Nice comment Jason!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.