310gti trouble

Started by RickyP, May 09, 2012, 04:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyP

My 310 slips or jumps when tension is put on the spool.  It acts as though there is a broken gear tooth but there is not.  This is a new reel that was never used until last year.  I tore it down to make sure that there were no missing parts in the reel and all of that checked good as well.  If I pull drag it jumps about every half spool turn but it will also jump under very little pressure that doesn't cause the drag to slip.  There is a little side to side play in the spool and I'm thinking that the spool is moving enough to not engage the pinion gear.  I have quite a few more of these reels and I'm thinking about taking a thrust washer out of one and putting it in this one to see if it will take up the play.  Anyone have any ideas?

Ken_D

Hi.  I'd check the mating surface cuts on the spool axle, and in the pinion gear. Now and then, these surfaces round off, so grab no longer grabs, just spinning out of place. I'd look at the yoke springs too.. maybe they got a little weak over time, and no longer exert pressure on the pinion strong enough.

RickyP

There is really no way to test the clutch springs that I know of.  Just would have to take some from another reel or buy two new ones.  As far as the spool mating surface/pinion gear one more thrust washer would probably solve that.  Maybe?

alantani

Quote from: Ken_D on May 09, 2012, 05:25:13 PM
 I'd check the mating surface cuts on the spool axle, and in the pinion gear.

ditto!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RickyP

I compared it to another one of my 310s and it is the spool shaft.  Swapped the spool to the working one and it did the same thing.  Thanks.

alantani

hey, i have a 310 spool somewhere......... 

RickyP

I just ordered one from scotts.  Thanks anyway.  On second thought I may need another one in the future.  What you want for it?

alantani

well, for sure not $45!  hold off until you actually need one.  chances are you will never have this problem again.  alan

RickyP

Yeah you are probably correct.  There were two listed and I bought the one for 39.  Is there a difference?  I couldn't see one.

RickyP

I'll take you up on the offer for the spool Alan.  Scott's has my order on hold because I added to it and I can just delete the spool.  If you want to part with it let me know.  I'm not doing anything with the order until Monday.  Ricky

alantani

send a pm with your address and i will ship it out.