Early Penn reels (1933 to 1941)

Started by john2244, May 09, 2012, 05:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

Here are some early Penn reels for your review, they are not in any particular order.
Notice the waffle style clicker button (hard to see in the photo), the lack of an eccentric lever and star drag on some models.
The dates are an estimate and some parts are not correct on a couple of reels.  The rarest reel is the
1933 Sea Hawk, it has the half round clicker button.  This reel evolved from the Penn model F prototype reel.

Alan and Bryan,
I guess I need to place an order for some stainless steel sleeves, Tiburon frames, and some handles.
John

Bryan Young

Hi John,

Send Alan a PM of what you need.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Great stuff John - it's an inspiring collection.
Cheers for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 09, 2012, 07:05:58 PM
Hi John,

Bryan
Hey Bryan:  I think John was making a joke.  :D  We can't be serious all the time.  :o  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

John,
    I'm getting the feeling that you're going for the whole penn conventional list... am I correct? If so, I'm very excited to see it.  I have seen it once at a tackle show in L.I. about 4 years ago.  The guy was an old timer... maybe 90.  I wish I had his name I would try to pry some of them out of his paws  :'(
Keep it up,
Dom

Bryan Young

Then I didn't get the joke, and still don't.

Quote from: Pescachaser on May 09, 2012, 08:07:37 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on May 09, 2012, 07:05:58 PM
Hi John,

Bryan
Hey Bryan:  I think John was making a joke.  :D  We can't be serious all the time.  :o  Dominick
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Thanks again for the comments guys.  Yes Dominick,  it was meant to be a joke.  Dom, you are right to a big degree, I am trying to aquire a large sampling of the reels made my Penn.  To collect them all is really more than I want to do.  I have another 25 to 30 Penn reel pics I can post.  I am really out of room where I am displaying the reels I don't use for fishing.  I was not kidding about taking down the wedding and family pictures.  I take down anymore I will need to call Lee regarding his barn.
John

Alto Mare

John, Justin said it right: An inspiring collection. Are you saving that model "K" for the ending? It would be the cherry on top of the whipped cream ;D. Four years ago someone snatched one from me for $10 more :'(.
Dominick, I believe that Bryan was also making a joke.
Thanks again for showing those beauties  John.
BTW, nevermind Lee, he told me that the roof leaks, bring them over my house ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.