Striper Fishing NYC

Started by broadway, May 10, 2012, 12:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Went out yesterday with mom and did quite a number on the stripers and gorilla blues.  Caught the incoming to get a hold of some bunker over in Keyport, NJ, then to head over to the Raritan Reach to drift some chunks to the blues.  All monster blues over there, so we headed over to a beach in Staten Island where I have some good spots marked.  On the first drop, bang... I'm in with an 18 lb. striper! I'm about to boca grip mine when mom says she's in, too.  She pulled in the next striper and it weighed in at 21 lbs.  Back for another drift in the fog, mist, and waves.  Bam! It was my turn for another weighing in at 15lbs. Then about 3 more monster bluefish.  Last drop before the weather forced us to head back, and BAM! Mom's in with the catch of the day weighing between 27 and 28 lbs.  Here are a couple photos... please excuse the "sour" face, but the mist was making it tough to see and the waves tough to balance, and of course mom saying, "what button do I hit?"  ;)
Love fishing with mom... She's 66 years young, a cancer survivor, and my hero! I hope we can do this forever ;)
Dom

john2244

Dom,
Great fishing trip and with MOM, it does not get any better than that.  You are a very lucky person.
I went fishing yesterday and a lot of the fish we caught you probably would use for bait to catch those big stripers.
John

seaeagle2

Nice looking fish, you're one lucky guy to have a Mom like that, what are you doing for Mother's day ?
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Alto Mare

Yo Dom, I'm glad you got out. Nice to see you and your Mom having a great day on the water. You got some hefty fish there,nice stripers and that chopper appears to be over 3', I wouldn't have my eyes off of him for very long. Nice going buddy, thanks for sharing. All my best to your Mom, wish her a happy Mother's Day for me. Very nice Dom, later bro. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Squirmypug

Looks like fun. Next time you catch bluefish that size keep a few and send them to me for bait.  ;D
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Bryan Young

Wow, great day fishing with Mom.  Glad you got her out and on some fish.  You make us proud!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Great job dom.  Those are some good looking stripers.  I see the Statue of Liberty and the Manhatten skyline in the background of the last picture.  It makes me homesick.  The water looked pretty flat and you caught fish so it was a good day.  Say hi to mom for me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

photo of the month!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

You have a Mom in a million there Dom,lucky guy. Great fishing and great pics. Thanks for sharing.

redsetta

Quotephoto of the month!
x2 - great stuff Dom, love it.
Mums rock.
Stoked for ya brudda.
Cheers for the top-notch post.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broschro

Norcal Pescador

Way to go, Dom!  8)  So as not to repeat what everyone else has said, "Well Done, Bro!" You keep fishing and your mom active (fishing ;D ) and you'll both have great memories and sharp minds.
Goodonya, pal.

How could I not also say, "Way to go, Dom's Mom!" ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

I appreciate the nice words guys.  If you get a chance to take mom, dad, kids or anyone you enjoy sharing time with out for a day of fishing, take it because there's nothing like doing your favorite thing with your favorite people. It means a lot to me that I get to fish with my mom when she comes for a visit.  Mom is an avid fisher"woman", fishing about every two weeks on a charter boat out of the Fort Myers, Fl area called the "Theresa Marie" with her husband and friends.  She was in Alaska this summer and had a hand at Halibut fishing.  She said that she never knew when a halibut hit the hook until she lifted up on 'em.  Her best was a 60lb'er which gave her the fight of her life, she said.
     PS- I forgot to tell yas, when I made the call to leave cause the weather was kicking up she called me a wimp, no kidding  :)
Thanks for making the memory even more special with the photo of the month and some nice comments!
Dom