Avet MXL Constant Clicking

Started by j0k3r, May 10, 2012, 01:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0k3r

Hi, I just bought a used MXL 6.3:1, so an older edition. When I turn the handle in all lever modes there is clicking, maybe a third to a half as loud as when the clicker is actually engaged. Freespool, bait, strike, full, all makes noise when reeling. Is this normal?

akfish

The anti-reverse dogs on Avets, especially the older ones, just make noise. There's nothing you can or should do about it.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

if it clicks once with every turn of the handle, it might be the main gear or some part of the drive shaft.  if it clicks 6.3 times with every turn of the handle, it might be the pinion gear or some part of the spool.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

j0k3r

It clicks with as much frequency as if the clicker were engaged... I would think even more than 6 times per handle revolution. It sounds the same as if the clicker were engaged except much weaker in noise.

alantani

first guess is to replace the black plastic collar that holds the click button.  i can send you one of those if you wish.  i have some extra.  alan

dwntwnall4u

Hello Alan, new here. So I suppose I need to order the black plastic clicker housing if my clicker is partially on all the time?
Thanks.
Kevin

Fishermans Paradise

the older model avets do have a clicking sound all the time, it is the design, a mentioned earlier, it is the anti reverse

alantani

the clicker housing is a small black piece of plastic and they act up all the time. send a pm with your address and i can mail out out to you. 

redsetta

Quote...the clicker housing is a small black piece of plastic and they act up all the time.
x2 - had the same problem meself.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

dwntwnall4u

Quote from: alantani on May 27, 2012, 05:41:33 PM
the clicker housing is a small black piece of plastic and they act up all the time. send a pm with your address and i can mail out out to you. 
Hello Alan, pm sent. :)

alantani

send the collar out yesterday.  i ordered 20 of them last year.  i am down to the last one. 

dwntwnall4u

Alan, is there a better solution for this issue? I installed it and used it yesterday but the noise is back again already?

alantani

if the problem is the click tongue, then you should be able to hold the click knob "up" and make the clicking to away.  is that the case?

dwntwnall4u

Quote from: alantani on June 11, 2012, 05:42:26 AM
if the problem is the click tongue, then you should be able to hold the click knob "up" and make the clicking to away.  is that the case?
Yes, that's what's happening.

alantani

ok, that's wierd.  the new collar should have fixed that problem.  the only thing to do now is to replace the button.  you'll have to go to the avet website and order one.  they do not take phone orders anymore. alan