free spool issue with new Penn International 12

Started by conor, May 10, 2012, 02:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conor

Good news: I got my long awaited International in the mail the other day, free spool was clocked at 47 seconds out of the box.
So looking to grease the drag and oil the bearings in preperation for the upcoming Halibut season, I took it apart.

Bad news: New free spool time is 23 seconds at best. Additionally when in free spool and I turn the handle, the spool slowing spins backwards. I can apply genle pressue and it stops but I dont remember it doing that.
Free spool sounds normal, perhaps a slight plastic friction noise but overall sounds ok.
I have spend 4 hrs trying different ideas, re-blasted the bearings w/ carb cleaner and lightly oiled with speed-X, nothing seems to be working. My only other idea is that its related to drag cover locking plate on the left side.
Anyone have any ideas? I hate fixing things til the break....

akfish

See if you got any grease on the edges of the spool or the edge of the frame where it meets the spool. That will reduce free spool time considerably.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conor

Good ideas on both.

I stayed up late last night going through all variables and I think I figured it out.

1. Spool bearings were gummed
2. The pinon screw on the left side was probably over tightened.
3. The plastic disc inside the left drage cover was slightly rubbing the metal drag housing. If the pinon screw or cover lock on the drag cover were too tight or loose, it wont spin correctly
New free spool is 50 seconds, I will take it.

I was surprised by the amount of plastic in that reel though.

Thanks for the pointers!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!