Shimano Super GT-RA 4000 / Drag...

Started by Bull, May 10, 2012, 07:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bull

Hi - I have a probably 5-6 years old Shimano 4000 Super GT-RA spinningsreel.

The other day noticed, that the drag-brake was starting to get pretty sloppy, and I could easily turn the spool whit my hands, event on full drag - I just did a test, and could only get about 7 pounds of drag on it.

Been using it to fish with deadbaits for ages, but reasently bought a Penn Slammer LL to replace it, and making this Super GT going down the ladder and becomming a backup or second rod-reel.!

Question being, is it worth (or event possible) upgrading to carbon washers on this kind of reel, or will it cost me about the same, at the reel is worth.?? And before spending too much money on it, does anyone know of any weakneses, where this reel typically tend to break.!? Will the reel be able to cope whit the added drag-power, or will it tear itselv appart.??

Mvh. Ronnie Bull
www.ondfisk.dk

alantani

yes, but it would take a better man than me.  i tried to change out the drag washers on a bottom drag shimano, and swore to never do so again.  one pronblem was that i did not have access to the thinner carbontex drag washers at the time.  your results may vary.  also, any possibility that you have spectra that is slipping on the spool?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bull

OK... That doesnt sounnd to good.!

I'm affraid, that it isent as simpel, at the braid slipping on the spool - I wish it was though.

Was it due, that the reel was just to complicated taking the reel appart, and getting all the pieces to work popperly afterworth.? I dont have much experience working on spinning-reels, and could imagine, that this whole fight-drag constructon could make it somewhat difficult, working on this reel...

And I've been trough Smoothdrags website, and they dont have any listings for drags to fit this reel - I'll try writing them, but do you have any idear, what washers will fit.?
Mvh. Ronnie Bull
www.ondfisk.dk

Irish Jigger

Those rear drag Shimano's can be a nightmare to work on. Lot's of very small parts. Repaired a pair of Stradic's which had salt water corrosion in the drag stacks, springs everywhere, never again! ;)

Bull

Thanks  - Then I know, what I'm getting my self into, if I decide to start working on it...

May just retire the damn thing and buy another reel.!!
Mvh. Ronnie Bull
www.ondfisk.dk