Problem with a 2500C's AR Dog

Started by MinerWill, May 10, 2012, 02:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinerWill

I'm hoping someone can shed light on this problem my brother's having with his 2500C that I rebuilt.  He brought it to me thinking it was the drag because line would feed out, but then he told me it also back reels.  I've stripped it apart again and it appears that the AR Dog is just not dropping reliably enough; when it's stuck in the "up" position the reel back reels.  I've tried making the Dog grip the cog both tighter and looser and neither helps.  It seems like there's too much room on the post that holds the AR Dog and it is perhaps moving laterally which would disengage it from the cog, but I can't see anythign on the schematics that would make me think I'm missing a spacer or anything.  While I don't mind gambling $10 on a new Dog (with shipping) I'd hate for him to the time it would take to chase down what could be a false lead.  Any suggestions will be greatly apprecaited. 

alantani

does the dog have two "leaves" or just one.  i can send you a double, but i would be guessing as to the size.  otherwise, it's jut a matter of making sure the dog rotates easily on the post and that the leaves grab the ratchet gear properly.  and make sure the leading edge of the dog is not banged up too much.  not much more to it than that. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MinerWill

Thank you for replying Alan!  The Dog has two leaves.  Mike's has the right one in stock, but I'm really only guessing that the problem is the Dog specifically.  It is possible that the post it rides on is bent (doesn't look like the problem) and I need a new brake plate, or could the ratchet wheel teeth have worn out?  It sounds like I should order another AR Dog and work through the process of elimination, but before I put the reel out of service while waiting on the part I wanted to run it by the knowledgable folks that make up this forum. 

alantani

does it work with the side plate cover off? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MinerWill

It works about the same with the plate on or off.  I "snugged" up the leaves on the Dog and that made a big difference until I set the drag and played with it as if I was fishing it, then the problem seemed as bad as ever.  I'll replace the Dog and see what that does for it.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  Thanks again for your time.

Ken_D

Sidenote: When the just under 3.00 dog plus ship arrives, it's best to carefully put it on the driveshaft first, off-reel, then orient it to the little post on the brake plate, as the driveshaft is placed on the brake plate.

Some folks put it on the keeper post first, then spread the leaves with a screwdriver to place on the driveshaft, which in on the brake plate post.

Some folks also destroy the part by spreading the leaves too far. Easier to save, when driveshaft is in hand, and in vision.

MinerWill

Ken_D

No worries.. ;)  I lost a few when I began Abus in the late 80's, and didn't catch why, then realizing the method. Overzealous driver action.... ;D