Spinning Reel Rotor Rub/Balance

Started by FishGolfDrink, May 11, 2012, 04:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishGolfDrink

When my reels are new out of the box they are so smooth and quiet. Once I service them it seems there is always a spot where the rotor is rubbing just slightly while retrieving and making a little bit of noise. I'm pretty sure its just the rotor because when it's remove and I crank the reel the noise or rub isn't there.

Any ideas how to fix this? Or how to re-assemble the rotor / spool and keep it perfectly balanced?

alantani

this is why i hate working on spinners.  it has to be rubbing somewhere, which is probably of absolutely no help to you.  often a washer is forgotten, which throws the spacing off.  it worked well before, it should work well after.  the good news is that it is probably something you did, hence you can undo it.  or at least i think that is good news......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

FishGolfDrink

Alan, thanks for the reply.. and shared frustration. The thing is, there is really no washers or anything that could be missing. The rotor just slides on the main shaft and then fastens down with a hex nut. I never even opened the main part of the reel or messed with the anti reverse (shimano super stopper II). It's very minor rubbing, but its just an annoyance.

alantani

maybe paint a little grease on the inside, put it together, crank it, take apart and them see if you can find some rub spots. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cone

I've found when i get a rotor rub its either. Dinged rotor (dinted slightly), Bent spool shaft or misalignment of rotor/ improper tightening of rotor nut. If all you did was remove the rotor and it wasn't dropped etc, and wasn't doing it before i would take it back off and make sure it is put back and seated fully and tighten the nut well. HTH I'm not an expert and I don't work on spinners for a living but I have always maintained and repaired mine. You'll figure it out. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD