Stupid Questions!

Started by stradly1, May 11, 2012, 09:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stradly1

Hello everyone! I want to go on my 1st long range trip (8-16 day, RP, Excel...) maybe next year. Here is my gear so far:
1. Contender S-55XJT silicon- Shimano Tiagra 50
2. Star BFX 3080 ARA59 Aftco- Shimano TTS-30 II
3. Kunnan HR5907 silicon- Penn 16 VSX
4. Saltiga SA JG 511HFB silicon- Okuma Makaira 16II
5. Contender S-60XJ- Newell 533-5.5
6. Truline (12-30lbs rod)- Newell 338-5
7. Penn Power P2708C- Newell 229-5 
8. Star 8C 270 7S- Fin Noor Ahab 20
Plus I have another Shimano TTS-30 one speed and a Shimano TLD 15 with #60 Jerry (I am going to put that on the MK 16II)
I was wondering if I should get a Makaira 50W and or a Makaira 8II or something else or should I stand pat and just go fishing. The RP website says I need 2 50W's. I will send the other TTS-30 to Cal for conversion as well as the Tiagra and the 16 VSX for his other fine services! After that I will have to get a rod for the TTS-30. I really like the MK-8II. It would be fun on the Saltiga rod!

Jim

1-No such thing as stupid questions!
2-Congrats on deciding to go long-range, for many it's a lifelong addiction. It is for ME!
3-The tackle diff between say 8 days and 16 is night and day.

I'd recommend first deciding how long a trip, and what time of year.

Then decide which boat you're trying first, you'll be trying several before you find the best one for YOU. THEN you'll be asking the best questions as you wait for the date of your first of many great fishing adventures.

Don't worry about anything else at this point, certainly not tackle. You don't want to be one of those guys with a whole pile of tackle but who doesn't have enough $ for fishing, do you.  ;)

Consider talking extensively to the office, I know the Royal Star capts are always available to talk trips and tackle with someone new (heck, and old). They are the guys actually out on the water all year.

Lastly, you're pretty darned well set up right now for everything short of a full cows only 15/16 trip.

Good luck

doradoben

Good advice from Jim. The boats you are considering have tackle lists on thier sites. The month that you go may have different tackle needs. An 8 day in november should have one heavier outfit than the same length trip a month earlier due to possible larger tuna or different destinations. If you ask them, they are helpful. Rental/ loaner gear.

alantani

there are some things here that i think you will enjoy reading.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=290.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

stradly1

Jim, doradoben and of course Alan, Thank you so much for your replies!!! I have learned so much reading them! I will read Alan's blog post to the very last!!!!!