How much grease to apply?

Started by Biggameaddict, May 11, 2012, 11:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggameaddict

Hey guys, I have rebuilt about Three reels now and I know what's up but I always think u undergrease the reels. I'm talking about the main gear and pinion should I put enough grease to be sufficient and fall between each gear or jam pack that thing like crazy do you won't see the gears?? How much do you put? Please help out guys a picture would be nice.

alantani

i just use an old toothbrush and brush away until there is a light and even coat.  you don't need much. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jim

I always go back to what Cal Sheets told me, as long as you've used SOME you can't use too little but you sure can use too much.
I paint it on with a soldering flux brush, nice even thin layer.

Nessie Hunter

Less is more in this case (IMO)..

I paint it on also with a flux brush, cut down so it has some strength...
I will also rub it with my finger to level it off and smooth it.   
*PAINT*  a good description that Alan uses...

Gears; I put a very small amount in the teeth of main gear, turn it several times and wipe off any that is squeezed out...

Drags; just a light coating by finger most of the time.

Grease will migrate (move around), if there is to much, and get all over everything, you will have Gear Grease in the drags and drag grease in the gears.   Grease in the Roller-anti reverse bearing will cause it to Not function...
Next service, you will hate yourself for the mess!!!   lol

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Biggameaddict

I guess i have some cleaning up to do put way too uch grease.