S/S gear sleeve for penn 113h problems

Started by ShoreKasterHI, May 12, 2012, 12:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoreKasterHI

Hi all, I've been having trouble replacing a s/s gear sleeve on. It seems it will not sit flush and i'll try to spin the gear sleeve and it binds up. Anyone know whats wrong?

alantani

fiddle with it a bit and see if you can get it to stop binding.  if not, i can send you a complete bridge assembly with a gear sleeve already installed, then just send the old one back to me in exchange. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Does your s/s gear sleeve have two holes for the retaining pin? Some sleeves came this way. If yours has two, try putting the retaining pin in the other hole. Also before putting the new gear sleeve on, clean the post and inside of the sleeve thoroughly. I like to put a bit of ReelX on the post before reassembly, but that's just  me.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Do you have a penn bridge or a pro gear? I've seen a lot of guys buying pro gear bridge for their 113h. The ss sleeve will not work with the pro gear bridge.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

good point, actually.  his should have a "113h" stamp on it.

ShoreKasterHI

Thanks for all the quick replys but i ordered two ss gear sleeves so the 1st reel i assembled i took it apart and swapped the gear sleeves and problem solved i should've done that before i posted this topic but figured it was the sleeve. Mahalo

alantani

yeah, but what about the other gear sleeve?  is something wrong with that?

ShoreKasterHI

I dont know why but i assembled a reel prior to this with a ss gear sleeve and it fit like a charm. So i go to assemble the next reel and it wouldn't sit flush onto the bridge, i couldn't even get the pin in. So the 1st reel i assembled i took it apart and swapped the sleeves, both of them sit flush. Added some grease put in the pins and they spin without binding.

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

must be those solar flares that we've been having.  did anyone else have problems with dropped phone calls this morning?

ShoreKasterHI

Guess im gonna have to get a new bridge because the one i have doesn't have 3-113h etched in it so im assuming that it is a progear bridge. Sucks cause i bought this reel used and guess im gonna have to dump more money into it. Thanks for everyones input

alantani

if it fits, don't worry about it.  if there is a problem, check locally.  if you can't find one, i have an extra. 

day0ne

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 12, 2012, 12:23:45 AM
Do you have a penn bridge or a pro gear? I've seen a lot of guys buying pro gear bridge for their 113h. The ss sleeve will not work with the pro gear bridge.

With a little modification, the Pro Gear bridge will work. At least it did for me. Just a little work with a file
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

ShoreKasterHI

What did you file? If its possible a pic. If its the bridge i wouldn't mind trying it if not i'll just wait till i get another.

Alto Mare

Yes the pro gear would work, we have ways of making many things work around here. I did not do any filing on mine, the pin hole didn't line up with the notch on the shaft and needed to be drilled at the right location. If you have a pro gear bridge, I'm going to recommend that you  purchase a penn bridge. It will be easier, better and you'll be done with it. A new bridge is not that costly, if you need me to send you one, just send me a pm and I'll put one in the mail. Your cost would be the shipping.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.