ABU4600 C4 broken thumb bar

Started by fisher480, May 12, 2012, 12:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisher480

My first post. Firstly to Alan and the rest, What a great website. I also tinker with reels and find this site extremely helpful.
Now to the problem. I was given an ABU4600 C4 Ultracast with a broken thumb bar. It appears that the thumb bar and the frame come as one item. Anyway I have inquired here in Australia and was told that the parts would cost $70 plus. As usual we get ripped off in Australia so I'm looking at getting the spares from overseas. Any suggestions?

alantani

can i get a number off the reel seat?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fisher480

Alan, I will have the reel back soon. I'm in bed at the moment recovering from a medical procedure.

More often than not its as simple as the small metal pin thats in the thumb bar.  In reassembly it gets pushed into the plastic thumb piece. It can be pulled back into original position with pliers and set with a drop of zap a gap CA glue.

Ken_D

Good luck fishing in Sask.

fisher480

As I said before $70 for the part in Australia. I have found one in the US for about $40 posted to Australia. I'm not sure yet. I may sell it for spares. I might get rid of my own 4600's for the same reason as a friend of mine has broke a few also.

fisher480

Actually I'll be in Canada in about five weeks time. I will be going to Northern Saskatchewan to catch the big Pike and lake trout. A bit of a change from barramundi.

alantani

i hope you're back on your feet.  before i forget again, welcome!!!!!!  if you have trouble with the frame, someone here should be able to find one for you.  please keep us posted.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fisher480

Thanks Alan and the rest of you guys. I went into hostiptal for a hernia to my groin area. Very sore indeed. When I'm better I'll try some tutorials of my own, particularly of some rarities such as an old Blue Shakespeare 2410 Amberdex and others.
I live in the Redlands Shire which is a bayside area South East of the Brisbane City. We are blessed with some crossovers in both tropical and colder water species and an enormous system which runs from the Gold Coast in the South up past Brisbane in the North .

My background is in the industrial instrumentation and the electrical trade so I was born to tinker.

I love my lure fishing, good quality tackle and collecting Australian timber lures. I thought I was the only one to have a "fishing room". Most people think I'm crazy but luckily I have an understanding wife.

The little ABU was given to me by my friends brother Dan who lives in a mining town called Mount Isa. Dan can not get anyone to service his gear so it looks like I will have a few more to do.

Anyway that's me.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ken_D

Just for fun, I looked up my cost for a fresh 46 frame, all found: tax, ship, price. I can get one from America for 30.00 USD.

My cost to send a small 4 x 4 x 4" box weighing 12 ounces from Canada to OZ: Courier: 96.75, ExpressPost: 67.70, and International parcel post: 39.78.  

From the USPS web page and rates: A Priority box for ~4 pounds~ to Oz from the USA is 16.95, and a small packet regular USPS mail is 10.03, for 12 ounces.  

So, a 40.00 bill from America all found (stamps, item, exchange, duty) is a great deal.

fisher480

Ken,

I'm thinking the same as you except I found the frames for $23 US. The only problem is that I would have to buy over $100 worth of equipment to get postage to Australia

I have an angle on this one.

When I'm in Canada I will be visiting one of my old apprentices who lives in Edmonton. I'm going to get a frame shipped to him.

The things we do to keep our reels going.