Penn 25 GLS

Started by fisher480, May 12, 2012, 02:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisher480

My brother in law is terrible when it comes to his fishing gear. No maintenance or cleaning afterwards and as a result has a lot of problems. Anyway he gave me a Penn 25 GLS lever drag reel and said that saltwater had got into the reel and it was not longer serviceable. Anyway I'm now the proud owner of this reel but wondering who I should go to for spare parts?

redsetta

G'day fisher and welcome aboard.
Scott's has everything you may need, here: https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn25GLS.aspx
All the best, Justin

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

you can replace bearings and drags.  anything else will be trouble. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fisher480

I haven't had it apart yet but one of the screws is missing from the side plate on the gearbox side of the reel, thew rest looks OK.

fisher480

I have checked the spare parts listing for the reel. It turns out there are two versions. The plot thickens. When I feel better I will investigate further.

redsetta

Yeah, I've got an original 25GLS in a drawer somewhere.
The design was flawed and ate pinion gears.
The revised design involved a new right side plate, dog and dog bridge, main and pinion gears, and spool...
Not an economical option, so it's a parts reel.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

fisher480

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. That may save me some money and effort. Is there anyway of easily identifying the types?

fisher480

This case is closed. The reel is an earlier bad designed model. I dismantled the side cover and found that the reel wasn't too bad except for the outer bearing but the gears have abnormal wear on them and account for the rough operation. It's a dead one I'm afraid.