Penn 9M, now its too fast!

Started by springwell, May 12, 2012, 03:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springwell

Hi All,

I serviced my Penn 9M, took off the levelwind and associated bits,pumped in some 20/50 engine oil into the bushings, as I do on my other Penns.

Took it out today, just could not control it, way too fast, I thought I'd forgot what birdnests looked like until today!

What would you recommend, just a heavier grade of oil in the bushings or some other fluid?

I don't really want to mag it.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
There is a fine line between the angler and madness

SoCalAngler

How about tightening down the bearing cap to give the spool a little resistance?

springwell

I'll probably just pack the bushings with grease or a grease oil mix and rely on trial and error. Don't fancy Rocket fuel liquid grease,  it still looks runny stuff despite what the write ups say.

Tightening the bearing cap on reels with bushings may cause damage to the spool shaft and wear, its only for centralizing the spool to give minimum sideplay.

Bill

Alto Mare

Bill, grease will not stay. Tightening down the bearing as SoCalAngler mentioned should not domage the spool shaft. We're talking just a little, you're trying to slow it down, not stopping it. You should be able to fine-tune it and not create any problems.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

springwell

Problem solved. :)

It wasn't the reel.

I had loaded up the reel with new line which still had some spring and memory in it. This was causing the apparent overun by coming away from the spool during casting .

Now the line has been used it's settled down and the reel casts great, in fact its now one of my best Penns for casting  :)

Bill

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!