few shots of my day out

Started by morpheus, May 13, 2012, 02:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morpheus

just a fuwe pics...
also quick question..why is it that i get tangle on my spinning reel when using braid?

SoCalAngler

Line twist on spinning gear? If you wind on spinning gear while a fish is pulling line or if you wind while whe spool is stopped while fighting a fish you will get line twist and this can cause braid and even mono to tangle while casting.

Nessie Hunter

Braided line has to be tight to cast properly....
Anything under about 50# braid is hard to use in spinning or Baitcasting rigs.
When loosely wound it digs into itself & becomes a mess....

If you cast light stuff and reel in several times the Braid Gets "fluffed up" then catches and on itself and you get major overruns or birds nests. 
Spinning reels you get big bunches coming out....

I have stopped using it on anything other then just heavy rigs for backing and the extra line it affords on the reel..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

broadway

Morpheus,

Maybe every one here knows what species that is that your holding, but I'd like to know what is that little monster?
I'm not going swimming around your fishing grounds... those teeth are wicked!
Thanks
Dom

REK

Nice looking critter. What is it?

What I know of spinners.
Close the bail by hand. Do not use the crank to close it.
Use the rod to fight the fish, not the reel. Lift the rod, wind down. Do not wind as the fish is taking out drag.
Both of these actions will develop line twisting.

If you have machine spooled the reel, you need to zero the drag and with bail closed, pull out a cast length of line. Button down the drag and wind in. This puts a reverse twist to counter the twist as you cast. Or you can spool up with a pencil through the spool of line and wind to fill the reel spool. This will allow a reverse twist to counter the twist as you cast.

Every now and then, let the line out behind the boat with nothing tied on. Allow the twist to undo as much as possible. Wind it back by pinching between fingers.

Bill B

Toothy critters indeed....what are they so I can stay far away from those!!

Line twist can come from a spinning type lure and not using a swivel between it and the line....letting the line out behind the boat as stated above can help the major bird's nest.

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

wallacewt

broadway

That looks like it to me, Wallace!  A dorab or wolf herring.
Good call,
Dom